Looking For Some Help

jafo

Oct 26, 2004
Well I'm new here and have just bought a 1983 KDX 200 in pretty good shape. I am in the process of getting the bike back to good running shape and was wanting some info on how to up the performance on this bake without going to extreme. So far I have replaced the exhaust gasket, fixed up the fenders and tank, I'm looking at replacing the front brake cable thats on order. I had a problem with the clutch not disingaging but got that taken care of recently. I'm focusing on the carb and reeds now. What do you guys think would be a good set of reeds for this bike? I'm looking for a good performance carb also. What size carb does this KDX come with? Can I go bigger? Cylinder and piston is in good shape also. I hope to become more interactive on this site because I'm a Kawasaki guy all the way.

Jon.

jafo

Oct 26, 2004
Thanks for the reply Jason. I'm looking for a good crisp throttle response and good power from the engine right now. I'm running an NGK # 9 plug also. It has the stock exhaust pipe and some kind of aftermarket aluminum muffler. The brakes and suspenssion are great. Bike seems very stable and has good balance.

On the reeds, you say there are several kinds. What am I looking for when I go to buy them? Whats the difference between them is what I'm asking.

As far as pics, I'll have to get some up. I'd like to wait til a sunnier day before I take any. It's been kind of gloomy as of late. I'm kind of doing a half a$$ resto on the bike. I got the fenders and tank painted with new decals this past week, so it's looking alot better. I'll try to post some pics soon.

Jon.

jafo

Oct 26, 2004
OK, I'll check it out. I cleaned the filter, thats the first thing I did after getting the bike.

Jon.

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
I pretty recently sold my 83 which I thought ran great, and I have seen it for sale on the internet, soooo, it is possible you have my old bike. Here's what I did: My front brake hub blew up on me, which sucked, but it was never a good brake anyways. I got a front wheel off an old Yamaha DT? 250. It had the same axle diameter, brake cable threads and was narrow enough to fit between the forks. I machined a few spacers and - voila! twice the braking for 1/10 of replacing with genuine Kawasaki. I got progressive front springs from Fredette and had him rebuild the rear shock - this added more to my speed than any power-ups could. Riding with a speedo on the first ride I was averaging 10 MPH faster than the previous ride. Do suspension first, it's not that expensive or hard. Powerwise I never messed with it - jet it right and it runs good, I felt the power was adequate for my riding. Reeds would be the only aftermarket add on that is worth trying for some power. Get some trail gear - hand guards, pipe guard, and so on.
That should keep you busy for a while.
Enjoy, - John

jafo

Oct 26, 2004
OK, I might have missed it but what can I do on the suspension to make it better?

I went out today with some friends and done alot of trail riding. I have'nt ever really done "trail rides" so to speak. I messed around mostly on flat ground kind of riding. No hills, until today! I have to say I found out just how out of shape I have really gotten! I am sore!!!!! Arms, legs, hips, ect! I must have dumped the bike 10 times and right at the crest of the hills I was climbing. Which meant kickstarting on an upgrade, not fun. I think thats what got me more sore than anything else. I seem to have a problem with the clutch, it seemed to be an all or nothing deal. Thats what caused me most of the problems on the hill climbing, and they were very nasty hills. The revenes we were hitting in the woods were probably 20 to 25 foot deep.... strait down and almost strait up the other side. I had fun though. Just got more work to do on the bike. Thanks for all the help too.

Jon.

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
jetting-wise, I would go down one size on your main jet, and leave the pilot standard. Thats what I did on my '87, which would be very similar to your '83 (carb-wise that is). Don't know your standard main jet size, but on my '87 it was 320 - I went down to a 310 and never looked back.

Cheers,
Andrew

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…