looking to buy a kdx200

mmm6188

May 1, 2005
Hey guys im new to riding motorcycles.Im 16 and weigh 180lbs.I have been looking at a 1997 kdx 200.It has everyday scratches and dents but its a pretty nice bike.He said that it needs a new top end and a rear wheel bearing.Hes asking $1300 for it.Does that sound like a good deal?How much would a new top end and rear wheel bearing cost?I have ridden this bike twice because I know the guy whos selling it and it rides pretty good,its seems like it might lack a little power for a 200.Im going to ride it agian tomarrow,is there anything I should look for when im riding it?Sorry for all the questions like I said im a newbie buyin his first bike.

Thanks

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
:blah: How many miles & hours is on the bike? Has the top-end EVER been rebuilt, IE Rings, Piston, Piston Bearing, New Gaskets? Wheel bearings are cheap & easy to put in. Rings, gaskets, Piston & Piston bearings not bad either. If your going to rebuild the top end-Get the piston kit. It comes w/rings, piston & piston bearings. Gaskets are seperate. Has he ever flushed the radiator.Has the clutch ever been checked or plates & springs replaced? Has the bike ever been in a serious wreck(I would think you would know that) And why is he getting rid of the bike? Thats the problem w/buying older bikes. Its better to know if the bikes been maintained well, before you buy into a MONEY PIT. Also, a word to the young-Don't do business with friends or relatives-Just a piece of advise. :(

mmm6188

May 1, 2005
kdx200

He said hes put about 500 miles on it since he buaght it.He has never put a new top end in it.Hes selling it because his dad passed him down his 03 ktm 300exc.Im pretty sure hes maintained it well.I would rather do business with a friend that I have known for years and can trust,than a random person I know nothing about.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…