clw

Dec 29, 2000
New, actually very old bike, see signature. Went to lube the steering head bearings and the bottom race can be removed by hand. Won't fall out from gravity, but when I was wiping the old grease off felt it move and I could just pull it out. Is this ok to just reassemble or should I shim it or something?

B

biglou

You'll need to fix it, or it will "waller out" (that's a highly technical term, there!) your head tube, if it hasn't already done so a little bit. You can sometimes set races with red LocTite #271, but I'm not sure about that in this high-impact situation. Best bet would be to take some measurements with a micrometer and see if the head tube is oversized or if the race is undersized. If it is the race, I would replace it. If it is the head tube, be sure to inspect it thoroughly for cracks or other damage. Might even be worth magnafluxing (?) maybe. If the head tube is OK, I would use some shim material to hold the race tight. Be sure to use the same amount on opposite sides of the opening so you don't misalign the steerer, even though it would be minimal.
Good luck.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
LocTite makes a "sleeve retainer" (or something like that) specifically. Check with your local supplier, you should be able to get it easily and it is much harder than "normal" red.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom