loss of fr brake pressure

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
I've flusshed out the fluid in my front brakes, & replaced it w/ dot 3/4 synthectic fluid.
the problem is. I've Bled all of the air out fo the fr.brakes, but the brakes dont have any pressure in them at all( loss of stopping power)
For some reason the fluid pressure is not moving Th brake pistons.
But it seems there is no air in the lines.
Fr. brakes have worked fine untill i changed fluids.
confussed!?
Thanks!!!
KamoBrianLifetimeKdxer :think:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
First off do not use pure synthetic brake fluid. Pure is DOT 5, not 3/4. 5 is great in a show vehicle that does not run or HD motorcycles. It does not absorb water, so when you get water in the system it puddles. It is also very hard to get in the system without foaming it and also very hard to bleed it.

Probably the best stuff you can find on the local shelves of most autopart stores is the castrol LMA fluid. You can also go to an auto dealer and ask for some HD racing brake fluid which will be a high temp3. Ford has some great stuff.

Back to the issue, it sounds like the MC is air locked. DId you run the MC reservior dry when doing this? If so, that is the problem. The best way I have found to get air out of the front MC on bikes is to grab the brake lever pull it in and just let it go. The slapping against the stop there gives enough vibration to help move the air bubbles out of the MC bore. I had to do that for about an hour when I swapped my front brake line over to SS on the XR600. The KDX was much easier to bleed. Alternatively you can dismount the MC from the handlebars and put that lower than the front caliper and bleed that way. Air will want to travel up in the lines.

If all else fails, my general rule is to let the system sit for a night. That will allow all the air to puddle in one place, take another stab at it the next day and you can usually finish bleeding the system.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
The only way I can bleed a front brake is to take the whole the system off the bike and hang it vertically in the garage somewhere for a couple days with the caliper up.

Whenever you get a chance tap on the master cylinder, brake line, and caliper with a screwdriver handle or what not.

After a couple days of this your air bubbles will be near or in the caliper . Now bleed the brake normally but still in an inclined position. An old set of handlebars comes in handy here. Pump the lever a few times, hold it, have somebody open and close the bleeder quickly. Keep the brake lever in until the bleeder in closed. Repeat several times until you get a firm feeling.

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
Thanks 4 your response guys! I'll try your suggestions.
I didnt know the dot 3/4 wouldnt work well.
I blew the brake line w/ compressed air. Maybe i have trapped air.

Will The Part Synthetic Dot 3/4 Harm or swell any of my brake seals????

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
DOT 3/4 is fine. Certainly never put 5 in with either.

Keyword(s) here is vacuum bleeder. Don't cost much.

Blew out the brakeline with compressed air? Hhhmmm...I sure wouldn't recommend THAT, ever! Chances of your air being dry are about nil. In carolina, even! Does it ever get under 105% relative humidty east of denver?

You have to keep 'resetting' the diaphragm on the MC cover. Do the pump-'n-bleed thing a couple of times, take the cap off to refill with fluid and reset the diaphragm.

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
Thanks 4 the advice. I've got to have fr. brakes by sunday!! I'll let u know how it goes.

Kazoo

Jul 22, 2002
I unfortunately know what you're going through. Did my front brakes last fall and for days I couldn't get any pressure to the brake. Finally, through this forum, someone recommended injecting brake fluid (DOT 3 or 4 is good) from the caliper UP to the master cylinder. Basically, you get a small syringe, fill it with fluid, pop on a short 3 inch plastic hose from the syringe to the caliper and inject so you overfow the caster cylinder. Do that about 5-6 times -- bubbles gone, pressure back. Good luck!

Kamofly

Apr 28, 2002
Brakes work GREAT!!!
Thanks again 4 the advice!
I stayed w/ the dot 3/4 fluid. From all I've been told, the 3/4 is alittle betterThan dot 3only.
I used Kazoo's "Injection" method. I made a "Reverse Brake Line Pressureizer", from a clean squeeze bottle & 3in vacum hose & zip ties.
Alot of bubbles came out the MC along w/ alot of old nasty fluid.
I tightened the bleed screw while Keeping fluid pressure, i.e. no air.
after a few pumps, brakes work perfect again! Did th back also!

Brian

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…