lots of oil drained out of the spark arrestor

bronco95tgp

Aug 14, 2004
Today, I pulled the drain plug out of the stock spark arrestor on my '04 kdx 220. Oil GUSHED out, it was fairly thick and very black. I have had the bike since late may and ride it quite frequently. I ride a few times a week around the house practicing wheelies and stunts or whatever. And then a big ride on sunday mornings of usually just under 40 miles. I ride pretty hard and like to stay on the gas. This is the first time I have pulled that plug. The owners manual said to beat on the pipe with a rubber cylinder to knock off carbon residue but there was no solid matter to this at all. I use Yamalube 2-S pre mix oil, it is just what my local bike shop sells. I mix at 32:1 as the manual specifies. Also, from the link where the expansion chamber pipe connects to the spark arrestor pipe, on the bottom of the pipe joint, oil seems to leak out there too. I have had oil along the top of the swing arm and even back on the brake caliper, not a steady line of it but just spots where it seems to spray out or something. My motor mods: I have removed the air box lid and I have a set of Boyseen Power Reeds. My question is: Are all of the the things I stated normal or is something faulty on my rig? I hope I have provided enough information, please ask for more information or even pictures if necessary. Thanks guys! Ya'll rock. :worship:

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Its normal with the stock jetting. Its even worse with the removal of the airbox lid and the power reeds. You need to get that bike rejetted and you'll find that the extra oil problems go away as well as getting more power from the bike. Most likely the packing in the silencer is soaked as well and should be changed.

-Maurice

bronco95tgp

Aug 14, 2004
I do not think, or know for sure that there is packing inside. It is referred to as a 'spark arrestor', I guess we need a little input on that as well!

Deputy25

Jul 27, 2004
My 91 KDX 250 sprayed spooge from the silencer/arrestor, and made enough smoke to hide a tank battalion. I re-jetted per advise from members of this message board, and repacked my silencer. I also changed to synthetic pre-mix at 40:1. Very little spooge and smoke, and the old horse really cooks when I lean on the loud handle. If I was you, I would rejet, re-pack, and ride :)

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
The stock silencer doesn't need to be and can't be re-packed. All you can do with it is take out the plug and blow the crap out. The reason for all of the oil is rich jetting so like stated above re-jet it. With the stock jetting in my bike tons of sludge came out of the plug and after a re-jet there was only a small amount of flakes that came out.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
I keep forgetting that the stock H series silencer isn't rebuildable...the E series (89-94) you could drill out the rivets and pull it apart to repack it.

-Maurice

bronco95tgp

Aug 14, 2004
Ok, here we go, please bare with me, the guys in the service department at KC's Powersport's, my local dealer, told me I am using the wrong kind of premix. Yamalube 2-S is an injector oil, still a 2-stroke oil, but for injected two strokes like personal watercraft and fiddy's. Yamalube 2-R is a true 'premix' oil, their claim is that this will do the trick. And the 2-R will burn much cleaner and will not leave much, if any trace of oil. The bike ran just fine on the injector oil, and did not smoke much at all after it was warmed up. My bike has never fouled a plug or had any trouble other than slightly adjusting the idle a couple of weeks after I bought it because it would occasionally stall when the clutch was pulled in and the bike was in gear. I have drained the gas tank of the old gas, and plan to run a tank of the new oil (Yamalube 2-R). That 2-R is twice the price of the 2-S so I was buying the cheaper of the two under the impression that the more expensive oil is for racing, which it is. I also asked them about jetting, I know absolutely nothing about jetting! The technician said that jetting did not have any affect on my problem, and that either way, the same amount of gas/oil was going into the motor. This seems to make sense, but still I don't know. I have heard a saying that says "lean and mean, or rich and running." I would also like to get as much life out of the bike as I can without replacing parts, it idles very smoothly, and I just couldn't ask for a better running bike. Would "if it ain't broke don't fix it" apply here? I am sorry if I sound ignorant on the topic, I really want to learn all this stuff and plan to stay with bikes for a long time! Questions are the only way I can learn but let me know if I am out of line, or my posts are to long. Thanks guys!

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002

I'd run away from that technician as fast as possible...

The whole point of jetting a bike is to control the amount of fuel (gas w/oil) that is mixed with the air and then drawn into the engine. Changing the jets (ie. making them larger or smaller) is going to change the amount of fuel being mixed with a given amount of air.

Jetting _your_ bike for you and your riding conditions will result in:

1) Better throttle response
2) More power
3) Better milage
4) Little to no smoke and spooge (unburnt oil)
5) No fouled plugs

Your bike will give you plenty of notice when it gets lean. I'd take a bike that was jetting even halfway properly over a stocker anyday.

-Maurice

bronco95tgp

Aug 14, 2004
mOrie, that makes sense. I take it that 'jets' are replaceable and must be purchased/installed, or are the stock ones adjustable? (told you I don't know jack about jets) What will this do to my current idle that is very smooth, with the motor hot hot and cold? How will this modification react to winter time riding in North Alabama? I guess my lack of knowledge makes me scared. I am a power junkie I guess, didn't expect to be going into riding but I really like to see that front wheel up in the air. I ride more and more aggressive each time I get on the bike, I just can not stay off of it. I don't want to do anything thats going decrease the overall lifespan of my bike by a considerable amount. I accept the fact of top ends and all that, but I just have so much fun on this bike, its my first bike so I guess I am pretty biased towards the machine but wow, it puts a grin on my face like no other. "More fun than a barrel of monkeys" lol :aj:

bronco95tgp

Aug 14, 2004
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=7241&department=667&Division=6 After typing in 'jets' under the search option on various web sites, I found these, now that is pretty cheap, is that all there is to it, and what size would be recommended? I am sure yall are fed up with me by now and I don't blame you, I got more questions than a 5 year old after his first week of riding the bus hearing the big boys talk!

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002

The jets are replaceable and are listed according to size: larger allowing more fuel, smaller allowing less. When you buy jets its best to buy a range of jets, in your case with the 220 and its smaller 33mm carb i'd pick up a 35,38,40,42,45 pilot and a 140,142 main for starters. Also you have a jet needle that can be changed and adjusted.

If you haven't read the carb tuning and jet needle decoding guides at the justkdx page you should do that before asking anymore questions.

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/carbtuning.html
http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/jetneedles.html

Reading all of the pages there at http://justkdx.dirtrider.net will give you a lot of basic knowledge about your bike that you might be missing out on.

-Maurice

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
JasonWho said:
OK, last try. Like I said before:

bronco, like others have already said, you need to rejet your bike. I'd be glad to drive over and help if you can't get it all figured out.

Thanks.
Bronco, jump on this offer and don't just ignore it!
:|

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2004
I also had this problem at one point but I solved it by re-jetting and using different premix. Right now I run Silkolene Comp 2 Pre Mix. Mabe 2 minutes, at the most, is when it blows a little bit of a blue cloud. But right after that it is perfectly clean. :yeehaw:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'The technician said that jetting did not have any affect on my problem...'

As M0rie said (kinda)..never, never, never, NEVER let that guy even get within 'I kin see it frum here!' distance of your bike.

The fact that he even has a job at a bike shop is troublesome. I'd strongly suggest another dealer.

Jason knows his stuff. Please do follow SkiPro's admonition.

Not to pick, but from your questions I can promise you that you need some help on getting this done.

Good man, Jason! What a guy!! :worship:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Just the facts, M'am.

Hope he takes you up on it. Probably the best $0 he'll ever spend on his scooter!

Good Luck!

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
You know when you look at the carbon build up inside your engine and fouled plugs and being a power junkie and not wanting to work on your bike but ride it without problems to properly jet it looks like exactly what the doc ordered tell the good man to come over as soon as you buy some jets and get it done. the only thing you could complain about is the engine will now need to be warmed up a little before it will run right. oh yeah it wasnt running right before though. LOL

bronco95tgp

Aug 14, 2004
NEWS FLASH!!! lol, I have been talking to Jason via e-mail and he has let me know a range of the jet sizes to order. I got a birthday coming up in a week or so.... I guess granny's b-day money = new jets and a phone call to Jason. Hopefully I can talk him into going out riding too and we can post a couple pictures of our prize riding areas here in Dixie! I am already pretty satisfied with the way my bike pulls me along, so after these jets I will be set for the winter hopefully, and hold off on a pipe set until summer rolls around. I was out riding today and I found the balance point (standing up), then I found the 'oh :uh: point', then I found the back brake, and my front wheel finally found the ground, close call. I also had a close encounter with a deer today, she jumped over the trail 5 to 10 feet in front of me, I was at about half throttle in 6th gear, I didn't let off the gas, I pinned it, :eek: thinking there may be more deer to follow so I wanted to get gone. Great day of riding though, hope others enjoyed the same!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…