2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Working out at the Y about 5 years ago, felt a pop in my lower back, didn't use that machine again. This is when I discovered the sciatic nerve. Although uncomfortable, some anti-inflamatories and within a couple weeks I was ok. Since then, lower back has flared up from time to time, but this is the first time the nerve has re-festered........in a big way! Saw a Dr, X-rays look ok. Pain killers and muscle relaxers just make me goofy....no relief. Chiropractor has brought no relief. This pain is right up there with coming out of surgery with a metal plate and 8 screws in my ankle. I suppose I'm now facing an MRI. I've heard of steroid injections, epidurals, (spelling?) and even surgery. I get total relief when laying down, standing is tolerable, but sitting for more than 10 minutes is nasty-bad. Pain is in right butt cheek, down leg, and numbness in foot. Got input?
Thanks

Todthebod

Nov 3, 2007
My problem doesn't sound like it was as bad as yours is. I tamed mine by stretching my lower back religously. Any time I had the chance I would do the toe touch stretch while relaxing my lower back. Hard to isolate your back and not your hamstrings but you'll get used to it. Get to where you can comfortably put your palms on the floor for at least 30 seconds. Gradually your lower back will be less tight all the time and whatever is pushing on that nerve will lighten up.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Thanks for the input. Things are getting better. My Chiro recomended lots of stretching too.........sit, cross the bothered leg over the good and lean forward to the count of ten....five times. Then stand with hands on wall and arch pelvis forward (wife laughs at me). Although an MRI hasn't been done, the Dr seems to think we're looking at a herniated disc. "You're only as old as you feel" must be a statement made by the inexperienced. :nod:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I have been dealing with the numb right foot and leg for over 10 years. A fusion was offered and declined by me. I have heard of some replacement cushions, but still requires fusion. Riding and the hot tub is the only real relief. This was not a dirt related injury!

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
long term back suffer what works for me are *1 stretching every day, #2 sit ups and oblique crunches on a workout ball every day #3 800 mg of Advil #4steroid injections in my back about 1 or 2 times a year , What didn't work for me was chiropractic, acupuncture, and prolotherpy

hope this helps

D

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I had the same thing after attempting to move something just a little too heavy. Okay, a LOT too heavy, but I was in a hurry.

I saw a PT for about six weeks, didn't do any good.

Stretching and some key excersise did the trick. It still bothers me once in a while, but stretching seems to keep it at bay.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I've got the same problem right now. I've had it for 32 years. I will try about anything but surgery. Stretching is undoubtedly the key but my hamstrings are so tight you could play them with a fiddler's bow.:yikes: Isobareng has good advice.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
for what it's worth a friend of mine at work just went through the same thing. turned out to be 2 herniated discs. Did lots of physical therapy, lost 20lbs. After around 9 months he is virtually pain free and playing softball, lifting weights, etc. He really credits the doctor and PT.

SINGLETRAC

Oct 10, 2007
pt ..pt..pt..pt and more pt. stay away from the m.d. and dont even think about surgery....trust me. steroids are fine, a good stiff brisk warm up walk before stretching. again, stay away from the surgeon,he has alot of bills to pay, and he doesnt get payed for not cutting...when you cant walk or get out of bed then its time for surgery. :nod:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
truespode said:
Back extensions and the chiropractor helped me. Mostly the back extensions.

Ivan
Can you elaborate? PM me with an explanation.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
My wife thought she had sciatic problems but after a doctor's visit yesterday he says she has arthritis, and it's wide spread. She is wishing it was just the sciatic. She has an MRI planned to confirm.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The wife, now that is another story. Around 96 she and myself were laid up for a few weeks, both went out at the same time. Later she had steroids in the lower part, and a cage put in her neck. She had the carpel tunnel done, then found out she has 2 different kinds of arthritis jumping around. Now she has a pin in one toe with 2 pair of rods coming out with an adjustable spreader on the outside, talk about swords on your feet! After running a 90 lb jack hammer I hear the hot tub calling, STAT! Surgery, I do not need no stink'in surgery! I need a new back! Over working it and warming up are very important.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Although I have some lower back pain, my major source of pain is a bit higher than what you all have been talking about here, but I just started getting injections in my spine (intercostal cortisone spinal injections I think that's what they're called) 3 months ago after almost three years of pain(auto accident). It's been amazing. I can sit, stand, roll over in bed, all without major issues.

What really struck me is how much I had been favoring the pain without knowing it.

As to the lower back pain, stretching and situps/crunches are what work for me.

Top Bottom