JWRFlame

Mar 10, 2004
I'm a gonna buy a KDX220R for the wife and I need to lower the seat height about 1.5" . Spec's say the heght stock is 36.2". I measured one at the local dealer and it was 37" but they had the sag set up for about a 300 lb rider. The shock spring was damn near adjusted down to the max. I weigh 195 and when I sat on it it sagged only 2". Hopefully with the sag set up for her it will be 36.2" as the spec's say.

She's a great aggressive rider but only 5'-5". Nobody makes a decent bike with a 35" seat height. The only bikes with low seat heights are either way too heavy, are gutless, have too short of a wheelbase, have too small of wheel or are just pigs in gerneral.

I settled on the KDX220 because it's inexpensive, has good power for it's weight (AKA 2 stroke), has great tractable low end and a guy can open up the airbox, put a gnarly pipe on it and make it will sreem on the top end like a two stroke should. The suspension should work great for her 135 lbs too (I hear the stock springs are too light for a 180 lb guy).

I figure I could take some foam out of the seat to gain 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch but I need more and it is always nice to have a cushy seat.

Is there anything else that I easily and inexpensively do? If I go lowering the tripple clamps on the front forks (is it possible) will I screw up the handling/frame geometry too bad? Can something be done with the rear link? The sub frame? I can't remember how it's attached, from the brochure photo I have it it looks like it is welded

Thanks for any and all input!!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
but they had the sag set up for about a 300 lb rider.
not without an optional spring they didn't. I assume you are talking about a used bike?

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
"The suspension should work great for her 135 lbs too (I hear the stock springs are too light for a 180 lb guy)."

That would be the front sticks... for the rear try a lighter spring (for her)
set the sag light for her and turned tighter for you. Trim some height off the seat foam. Drop the forks 10to20mm depending on how much you lower the rear. If she is a fair rider this should be enough for her. This worked for a girlfriend of mine(same height), and she is a so so rider.
Links would be the last step I would try.
The great thing about this bike is that it has a kickstand, so if it stalls she can put it down to start it back up.
Stay in the flat areas til she gets use to it.
Have fun.

Top Bottom