jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
My daughter bought a 00 with the front end shortened but it doesn't look like the reat has been dropped at all. The dog bones appear stock. Is there a way to lower the rear an inch or two?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes.

Check out koubalinks.com

What does 'shortened' mean? You can also 'shorten' the rear with internal stops inside the shock. That method doesn't change any ratios in the unitrack (changing the pull rods does). It's also considerably more expensive...to get done and to get undone.

The commonly considered necessity of being able to touch the ground is an idea based in error in the first place. A rider that can't touch will be much less likely ('gee..'ya think?) to develop a bad habit of sticking their feet out when the cure is much more likely to be more throttle.

.and that's a tough one (bad habit) to get over.

prk03

~SPONSOR~
Jun 24, 2002
The kouba links will lower the bike to enable a short rider to reach the ground. I am 5ft 4in and have the #3 links. Very easy to put on . I also have the rear shock adjusted soft by reducing the compression on the spring. In the slow stuff a must for me to stay upright.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Increasing the length of the pull rods will require a stiffer spring in the case of the spring being correct before the pull rod change.

That usually works out well...a shorter rider probably more often tending toward the lighter side of things, and the rear shock being good for around 180# of rider.

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
Thanks for the feedback and the link. I agree that sticking feet down when throttle is needed could be a bad habit but at the same time aa great deal of confidence can come to a beginning rider if they know they can get a foot on the ground. I ride in rocky and and down terrain and the ability to get a foot down can be the difference between success or crashing on a nasty hill.

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
Thanks for the feedback and the link. I agree that sticking feet down when throttle is needed could be a bad habit but at the same time aa great deal of confidence can come to a beginning rider if they know they can get a foot on the ground. I ride in rocky and and down terrain and the ability to get a foot down can be the difference between success or crashing on a nasty hill.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
True.

And I've seen the rider that comes from starting on bikes as a kid on things like bultacos and huskies that were miles off the ground. They're good!

Sure, part of it is the starting young part. Just as sure, part of it comes from either getting to handle the bike without sticking legs out, or severe crashes with the result that the kid can't: Pick up the bike Can't start the bike Can't get the bike OFF of them in the first place!

Point is that lowering a dirtbike is not a 'given' good thing.

Last edited:

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
I suppose what your saying is true but I think for this application, fairly short 19 year old female, semi timid, shorter might be better. At least there at times it might be better, not for high performance riding but that is not the issue here. I rode her KDX yesterday, with the shortened front end compared to my regular hieght with gold valve, I like mine a lot better.

Mike V

Jul 31, 2003
so when you install one of those links, does it change the geometry of the shock at all? i mean like make it softer or anything?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
so when you install one of those links, does it change the geometry of the shock at all? i mean like make it softer or anything?

No.

But when you install two of 'em.... the answer is yes!

;)

Understood re: semi-timid etc.

I'm playing devil's advocate to some degree. The kdx is well over 200lbs. Take that mass and attach any velocity to it, a 'semi-timid' leg can easily be mangled when it's rammed into something with a driving force of that much 'stuff'.

To be sure,ANY leg, semi-timid or hulk huge is going to have a problem in this regard.

I've done more'n my share (sez me..only once..but that's more'n what I'd choose) of lying by the side of the trail with a broken leg. And that with what was a perfectly correct and well mannered get-off. It couldn't have been choreographed better. .....that didn't matter to my leg much.

Have fun! Ride safe!!

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom