Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I get a perverse thrill out of finding weird problems in engines and trying to figure out WHY they happened. Eric calls my workbench Streamwood CSI :rotfl: The only thing more fun than finding and analyzing this stuff is trying to figure out how to photograph it so the story is told properly.

My old Olympus C-2500L did a really nice job with macro pics, but I wanted to really dial it up so I bought a real macro lens for my Nikon (Sigma macro 105mm F2.8).

So to christen it here's a cool picture of the wear on a 2004 CRF250F camshaft. Specifically it's closing ramp of the exhaust lobe. The CRF engines use a roller finger follower. What makes it interesting is the high rocker ratio they use. Passenger cars generally use a 1.5 rocker ratio, performance engines will go up as high as 1.7 ratios, and the CRF uses a WHOPPING 1.9 ratio. The result is really fast exhaust valve guide wear, and some pretty bizzare wear patterns on the rockers and exhaust lobes.
This one has a huge flat spot at the tail end of the closing ramp, not to mention some serious surface wear and evidence of the roller hopping off the surface right after the nose of the cam as the roller trys to follow the cam surface. This is probably from loft over the nose or general valve float.

First pictures with the new lens, using a handheld speedlight and a hunk of white cardboard as a reflector. They came out pretty good. :)

Here's the cam lobe pic at 1024 :
http://www.ericgorr.com/images/CRF250_exh_cam_closing_ramp_wear_1024.jpg

Here's the cam lobe pic full size no JPEG compression (BIG) :
http://www.ericgorr.com/images/CRF250_exh_cam_closing_ramp_wear.jpg

Attachments

• CRF250_exh_cam_closing_ramp_wear_85_drn.jpg
    CRF250_exh_cam_closing_ramp_wear_85_drn.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
biglou said:
Was that shot with the new D200?

No that's with the D70S ( I bought it as a fill-in while I wait for the D200) :) I can't wait to see what the D200 will do with a 25% increase in pixels. :aj:

WOW, the post processing really helps. Nice job Lou. Did you use PS for that or some other tool?

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
I see a microscopic booger on one of the lobes. What kind of a shop do you run Rich? ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
biglou said:
Yeah, PS 7.0. It's all I gots!

That's on my list of things to do this year. Learn Photoshop so I can tweak my pictures.

I signed up for the Nikon School "Streamlined Workflow Techniques" class in April so that will be a start towards learning how to post process. http://www.nikonschool.com/steps.html

Or I could just learn to light the subjects better and work the camera more effectively so post processing won't be needed. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
TwinSpar said:
I see a microscopic booger on one of the lobes. What kind of a shop do you run Rich? ;)

It's amazing how UNCLEAN parts look when the macro lens comes out. :yikes:

Louise :) said:
Post processing always helps!

That is becoming painfully obvious with every picture I take :bang:

B

biglou

I like to take the two images and click between them to see a quick comparo. Also, there are many factors like the type/size of monitor you're viewing on, too. When I first got my Rebel, I was so impressed when comparing the shots to the old Mavica mini-disc thingamabob. When I learned a couple (beginner) tricks with PS, I was totally blown away at the improvements it made to the Rebel's shots! :nod:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Yeah, it's probably time for me to buy some real editing software and a scary fast PC to run it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom