Some interesting RMZ450 internal engine shots.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Just a quick followup on this thread.

After getting more info on the rider's maintenance habits the root cause of the problem seems to be related to cam chain tension. The rider didn't keep up with the adjustment (it's a manual adjuster on the RMZ450) and ran too much cam chain slack for too long. Since I originally posted this we've seen a few more RMZ450 cams like this and in each case the riders didn't pay proper attention to the cam chain adjustment.

You can't blame Suzuki for riders who ignore regular maintenance.

The small handful of riders I've talked to who look after the adjustment don't seem to be having the same issues.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Good follow up! Adjusting the Cam chain on THE RMZ450 is a big factor.After 3 hrs of use I pulled my cover off and the Cam chain was slightly loose,nothing alarming,but I adjusted anyway.I then put another 10hrs on it then checked again,it was considerbly loose,I will remind anyone with a RMZ,adjust it TDC ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE VERY IMPORTANT.Believe me or not I have 100+ hrs on mine and after the 1st 2 adjustments the 2nd one being the loosest the chain has not budged.I check the valves and cam chain every 10hrs regardless. Alot of riders are not taking the compression stroke serious when adjusting,the manual RMZ system is a good system,WHEN IT IS USED AND CHECKED PROPERLY!

Top Bottom