Maier headlight shell, not impressed

wannabe1

Feb 20, 2004
Ijust replaced my cracked 93 KDX200 headlight shell with a "factory replacement" unit from Maier. I got it on, but was not impressed to say the least. The area where the headlight connects to the plastic did not resemble the factory shell at all. I had to mount a supplied L bracket to the plastic that hopefully will hold the light in place. The only other contact is the tiny adjustment screw, which I had to drill the hole for. The area at the top where it mounts to the speedo also is nothing like the factory set-up. There I had to also use supplied brackets and drill holes through the number plate. Bottom holes also had to be drilled. I don't know how much the factory plastic is, but I wish I would have at least checked on it before getting the Maier. If any of you are about to do this, you might consider a real factory replacement if available.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
I picked up the UFO assembly from FRP last spring. Not FRP's fault, but the ruber straps they supply were too long for the forks on my '90. I simply fabbed up some brackets to utilize the existing holes on the upper and lower triple clamps and so far so good. Was happy with the quality though. Better grade plastic than the set of maier front fenders I picked up for a quad 3 years ago. Just my $0.02.

Bill

wannabe1

Feb 20, 2004
My original headlight was fine and I did not have to re-wire anything so $30 plus shipping wasn't terrible, but just not impressed with all the rigging I had to do for a supposedly direct factory replacement.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
I have a 97 KDX 200 and I needed to replace the same plastic, the OEM is just as nanddm98 said $97. I almost passed out whent he dealer told me that. That is absolutely ridiculous for a piece of plastic. However, I have been unable to find any aftermarket plastic for a 97. I dont need the light, just the plastic shell but I have been unable to find any aftermarket plastic and dont really want to be spending $97 on the stupid piece either. After looking at what you had to deal with I may have to just suck it up and get the OEM plastic.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
I just got and installed the UFO Sahara light on my bike, which I believe is the factory replacement. I am really impressed with the light. The straps that came on mine fit the forks perfectly...very snug fit. Fit and finish seem good. The only thing I see is that there does not appear to be any way to adjust the actual headlight like my XR headlight used to have. Oh well, I don't plan on riding at night anyway. I got the light brand new for $39 from a sellers store on you know where.

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
Best Christmas gift ever

My wife bought me a complete plastic kit for Christmas in 2003.
It's from UFO and the light came with the rubber mounts which I like since they don't bend like the old brackets did. I think she paid around $50 for the light. The only thing is that the white sticker came off at the sight of my pressure washer.
BTW, I have a '95 200.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Ill have to look into the UFO Sahara light and the Fradette option cause $97 is just ridiculous for that small piece of plastic body work. Thanks for the info guys.

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
Mine didn't come with the white sticker background for some reason. That's fine though because all my other backgrounds are black. I did put a sticker on there and it came off with the first pressure wash. That must be some slippery plastic!

gurt

Feb 25, 2006
I think that I would rather just buy a brand new headlight for around $80 rather than buying an oem shell for almost $100.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
nanddm98 said:
An OEM shell is $97, I think I'll do the extra work and spend $31 on a Maier.
YUP, Smack a Tree and I'll put on another since you could buy 3 for the price of 1.
Take a look at David Knight's Headlight Set-up from B.Designs

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom