jp2396

Dec 12, 2004
Hi All,
I just picked up an '05 YZ250 and am wondering if anyone has or has seen an excel spreadsheet or something similar to help keep track of ride hours and maintenance on their bikes. I'm fairly new to bike ownership and want to make sure that I don't overlook any maintenance items. The owner/service manual is very complete (imo), just looking for a more compact type checklist that I can add to as time goes on. Any suggestions etc. are appreciated.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
I don't check the manual constantly, it's pretty easy.

Clean your bike when it gets dirty
Keep the air filter clean (I clean mine every ride or two)
Change the tranny oil periodically
Check the spokes from time to time (this bike has a great wheelset...spokes never come loose, unlike my 2 prior CRF's that wouldn't stay tight)
Seal Savers are a great way to avoid replacing fork seals as part of normal maint.
Do a top end when it needs it (I'll prob. do mine @ ~80 hrs.)

Oh yeah, install an engine hr. meter ASAP - takes all the guesswork out of maint. intervals. You can buy them @ Sears in the tractor dept.

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
There's a single wire that goes from the meter...all you have to do is route the wire from your meter mounting point (I like the side of the frame's head), and wrap it several times around the spark plug wire then zip tie it. Very simple, it measures time as long as it catches pulses from the plug wire.

jp2396

Dec 12, 2004
Chris,
Thanks for the info. What type of solvent do you suggest using to clean the air filter and which oil to re-oil it with?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom