major changes ahead for race teams.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
I read Yamaha will have 'all new 2-stroke' for 2005???? That will be interesting, also...

Additionally, Yamaha will have all-new two-strokes for 2005--

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
XRpredator said:
but will they have all new 2 strokes in 2005? :cool:

So I've heard. :)

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Just my guess, I say Honda will get Bubba, Reed will stay at Yamaha, Suzuki would love to have RC but won't be able to afford him and will stick with the rookies Hepler and Milsaps along with 2nd year rider Brian Gray all three are contenders on the 125 class next year, and Zuk will take what they can get in the 250 ranks, maybe get Kdub back.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I have no idea who wrote that, but he/she must be big-time connected to make statements like some of those. All major conjecture and assumptions if you ask me.

That being said, I've always wondered if RC was let go (deal not matched) at Kawasaki because of JBS and who knows, maybe this person is right and JBS will run RC out of Honda?

RC wanting to race for just two more years?

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I could see all of this or none of this happening. I would like to think Honda shows some loyalty to RC and shells out bucks for him and JBS (Bubba seems to be a forgone conclusion based on team Honda's history). How about this, Bubba does a MC and forms his own team, (machine of the highest bidder) and the huge $$$ come from outside sponsers, (ala Boost mobile) and the factory teams stay set. (I could also see Ricky doing it)

B

biglou

Rumor is, aluminum frame for Yamaha in '05. Ala Honda. Four strokes to follow in 06/07. We shall see... :cool:

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Amen BigLou, I wanted the hear that from someone about Yamaha and the alum frame. .. Good point, the article doesnt really say anything about the K-dubber. Does anyone see him going back to suzuki, what about Kawi, maybe they could be the darkhorse bidder to pick him up?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I, too think Bubba is bigger than a factory ride and could form an independent team. Probably a multisponsored Kawasaki based outfit with factory support. I do not think RC would ever go to Suzuki, or back to Kawasaki--but think Reed will not leave Yamaha as he loves that YZ250 like no other (consistency). I don't think Yamaha would have the ballz to push him. Therefore, I think RC will want to stay at Honda...badly. I'm not even sure he'd leave for money. Windham is riding the best he ever has, could have any factory ride he wants, but I think he's just as likely as Bubba to form an independent team. I can't see him giving up that Honda CRF450. I don't see RC having enough sophistication or 'patience' (without getting pissed off at everybody) to run his own team. Reed will be happy with a factory ride.

Of course, I don't know my head from my arse.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I think the article is complete conjecture and speculation. It's way too early to get into the silly season, IMO.

FWIW, there is an interview with American Honda's Chuck Miller in a recent Cycle News. He is a past Baja winner and now manages at HRC. Basically, Honda is cutting back on their racing budget. That alone is an excellent explanation why they have not yet signed RC to a big $$ contract renewal. Even great riders like RC are subject to a tightening of the corporate purse strings.

It's a business, afterall. If HRC knows they can't afford to give RC a raise without making cuts elsewhere, they are smart to play the waiting game. Let RC find out his market value by getting other offers, then they have the opporunity to match. It's a gamble that might save them a bunch of $ and they still could keep RC.

Some of the stuff in the article was pretty funny, though. "Imagine how fast Ricky would go through the whoops on a YZ--instead of his CR." LOL. Seems to me his CR doesn't exactly hold him back, since he's won every single series he's ever raced on a Honda.

Also, "REED: He would be crazy to leave Team Yamaha. He obviously has the best handling and best suspended bike on the track." Wow, is MXA pro-Yamaha or what?

Last edited:

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
yeah , I guess we cant forget the fact that Michael Jordan was talking to Bubba about a team as well. rumors, and more rumors.
It would seem logical for Bubba to have his own team ala McGrath.....

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I don't think MXA's comments about Yamaha's suspension are bogus. Reed and DV have looked fast in the whoops all year. Windham has looked good but I heard he put a steering dampener on his 450 to help it track straight.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
zcookie49 said:
yeah , I guess we cant forget the fact that Michael Jordan was talking to Bubba about a team as well. rumors, and more rumors.
It would seem logical for Bubba to have his own team ala McGrath.....
Jordan, McGrath, and Bubba with a team? Talk about pullin in the sponsor bucks!! Just for them to be in the sponsors commercials is worth millions :yeehaw:

jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
i see k-dub sitting pretty with factory connection. He burned out riding for factory teams. Suzuki will pay mucho money for rc and if he doesn't win, decoster will get the boot. bubba will ride red and do something stupid and lose his ride... reed, he will retire from yamaha...

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I would buy the assumption spelled out in that MXA article. RC is now an unknown. How well can he recover from that injury??? Reed beat him before he went out for repairs....at Supercross. Supercross is THE big buck series now AND in the future because its easier to package and sell to larger markets. Bubba adds even more spice to the package....its a no brainer. Honda buys Bubba, RC has to prove all over again he can win..somewhere, probably Honda this summer and else where next SX season. Reed has lost to Bubba and beat RC at Supercross therefor he's in the middle. Sucks for RC but this business is about "what are you doing for me right now!", past has much less value.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Actually, RC beat Reed in '03 SX, not the other way around. 367 points to 360.

If 'Reed beat RC' and its all about 'what have you done lately', then what happens if Chad goes into 'safe' mode, and loses the last few rounds to Windham?

While injured, RC beat the world's best including Stefan Everts at the MXdN. After repairs, he is likely to be faster, not slower.

My guess is RC took a little break, but has been training like a mad man. Lack of a contract extension will be extra motivation.

When he's lapping Reed at the '04 nationals, a few people will realize that RC just might have given Chad some competition for the '04 SX title. The true test for Chad will be in '05, when all 3 of the world's best SX racers are on the track at the same time. If he repeats, that will be huge.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Can only hope. Obviously in the 250 Nationals (Out doors) it was a different story. My premis is the the big four(five?) prioritize the Super Cross series over Outdoors. Even thought RC got the championship, towards the end of SX last year Reed had the advantage in win ratio. The trend going away from RC. Thats what I mean about whats happening lately. I'm actually a RC fan & Stewart fan.(not a Reed fan) Either one wins and I'm happy. When they race either other its going to be tough to root for one or the other for me. Then it will depend on bike...I'm a Honda fan first. So which ever has the Red bike has my vote.

I hope your speculation turns out to be true for RC...coming back better than ever.

Having said that I still think MXA's got a valid analysis as I posted before based on trends.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Key word is excuse. And it was the four stroke when Bubba handed him some humble pie before that in the 125's.

Top Bottom