Major differences between the mxc and exc?

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
Other than the mxc having a close ratio gearbox and the exc having a wide ratio gearbox, what are the major differences between the two. I’m looking at doing trail, and single track in eastern woods conditions and am considering a four stroke ktm model year 2000 and up. Any help would be appreciated.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
The MXC has a larger tank(newer models)...
The mxc has stator for lights but needs the wiring harness to have them.
I like the super low first gear on the exc for really nasty tight stuff but some guys prefer the tighter gear ratios when racing through the woods...just preference I guess!

Chipstien

Oct 13, 2004
The EXC has a wide ratio transmission where the MXC has the close ratio tranny. Plus, like has been said, the MXC has a bigger gas tank and the EXC has lights.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The MXC is a Japanese TV show?

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
The only things that differs from MXC to EXC are transmission, headlight, and on a 4-stroke, the tank. They both have a kickstand.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
They both have six speeds (different ratios), its the SX that has four.... and yes the MXC has slightly stiffer suspension than the EXC.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
To add a headlight to the mxc, what all do you really have to buy? anyone actually know?
wow, we've learn more about a mxc in a few days than most learn in a lifetime!

thanks.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
MXC has electric start, battery and the lighting coil, so all you will need is the light and maybe a on/off switch.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Shaw520 said:
MXC has electric start, battery and the lighting coil, so all you will need is the light and maybe a on/off switch.

What years? He is looking for a 2000 and up and I don't think the e-start/battery was added until 03 or 04 was it?

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Yea,...I know they had it 03' not sure bout 02'. I just never cared for that BIG tank they put on the MXC, so the only real reason you'd get an MXC over an EXC would be if you prefer the close ratio tranny.

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
I have a 2001 400 MXC - it has an e-start. In addition, I ride tight woods - In my opinion only 3 real changes need to be made - other changes fall into the want category in my opinion.

1. sprocket change to lower the gearing to get a little more help down low.
2. exc or similar aftermarket tank - the mxc tank is too big for normal woods riding - handleing/cornering improved a bunch when I got a used exc tank/shrouds - it made it much easier to get up on the tank more for turning - big difference in my opinion
3. barkbusters.

If I was buying new - I would go with an exc - but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good used MXC if one was available. To date the best overall bike I have had - highly recommended.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
All the RFS EXC/MXC four stroke KTMs are e-start, all are 6 speeds, all have sidestands.

MXC has a bigger tank that actually incorporates the shrouds, a close ratio tranny, no headlight, and (pretty sure about this) different suspension valving but same spring rates.

Since, apart from the transmission, you could easily convert one into the other IMO it deserves special consideration.

Here are the tranny ratios for each:

MXC
16/32
18/30
20/28
22/26
24/24
21/18

EXC
14/34
17/31
19/28
22/26
24/23
26/21

Note that the EXC is only slightly taller in 5th, but much lower in 1st (6% taller up top vs 18% lower in first), other ratios are close, 4th gear is actually the same. I'm fairly certain final gearing is the same (14/50??).

First four ratios on the SX are the same as the MXC (the SX actually has the MXC 5th & 6th gear wheels already installed on one tranny shaft from the factory).

Verdict: For tight woods I'd definitely want the slimmer tank and low first gear of the EXC, out west the close ratio and bigger tank is the ticket (but the EXC still seems to be more popular even out here).

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom