KTM-Lunatic

~SPONSOR~
Mar 2, 2000
My question is < Im trying to make the clutch pull on my 99 300exc as easy as possible due to a bad injury to my left wrist .Im using 2.5 fork juice which helped a little and a EE easy pull lever.Will adding a steelbraid clutch line improve the ease of the pull more . Or is there any other trick that I can use I need the pull as light as possible because of the very weak grip that I now have :think

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I dont think the braided line makes any real difference-i put one on mine and the major change came from the 2.5wt oil.The only thing you can do is to try to get some springs that are the same size but weaker.You may have to service the clutch more often but its the only way to get it lighter than it is with the mods you have done.

SlowJack

Jul 27, 2000
Lunatic - you might also try the e-rider lever. Friend of mine just put one on his 520exc and boy-howdy, what a difference. Now I gotta get one. Better than Enduro Engineering easy-pull lever IMO (although I like EE stuff), and doesn't have a weird angle that can damage your master cylinder. The e-rider design uses the same pivot-point as the stock, so it won't damage your master cylinder, and it rides on super-smooth needle bearings. I've never seen anything yet from e-rider that wasn't tip-top stuff.
http://www.erider.ws/products.htm

Slow Jack

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I too prefer an extremely light clutch. I have the EE lever, which helped, and plan on the braided line. I am also planning on lighter springs--I am told that either the 125 EXC springs or Honda CR springs will work. True?

Anyone who has either set of springs, please let me know how they work and feel.

No wimp jokes please. I just like a light clutch, that's all.

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
Its an expensive option >$185 but a HEBO hydraulic clutch will lighten up the pull. There was a thread on this a few months back and the guy said it was the best mod he made to his KTM. These are used by GasGas so a GG dealer such as Smackover should be able to assist.

regards

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
e-rider also has the Hebo kit. I've installed it on my bike and it IS quite a bit lighter that the stock KTM Magura setup I've experienced on the newer bikes. As an added bonus it uses DOT fluid and is the same master (AJP) I have on my Montesa so I have spare parts if I need them in a pinch. I'll be giving a complete DRN Tested on the unit as soon as my pumpkin is back together and I get a little more seat time. The e-rider guys are super to work with and in my opinion supply parts NOBODY else can come close to in quality.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Maybe it's just because I'm an old schooler, but the OEM Magura is one of the trickest parts of a KTM, IMO. It has the lightest and most consistant pull of any clutch I've ever used. Something aint right if I have to change out my Magura for another companies hydro clutch. :think

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Maybe the Hebo unit has a slightly smaller piston diameter in its MC. The KTMs Master piston is 9,5 mm (as far as I know); when the Hebo has a 9 mm piston it wil reduce the pull noticeably.
On my TM250 I changed the "master to slave ratio" from 10/26 to 10/30 by machining the slave cylinder and it helped a lot.
Enlargening the slave cylinder isn't an option on KTMs, because of the super thin side walls of the cylinder.

Top Bottom