Glynis27

Jul 7, 2005
My friend and I both have KDX200s and we are looking for a way to make them street legal as quickly and CHEAPLY as possible. Anyone know what we need to get? I figure we need front and rear turn signals, horn, speedo, key, and switches to work the signals and horn. Is there anything else we would need?
Are there electronic parts I would still need on top of that?
Where can I get the parts for cheap?

Thanks for the help

-Ryan-

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
There are different laws in different states. You are going to need to tell us where you live.

In some states such as California, you will need a battery as it is a requirement that the tail light can stay lit with the motor off. But you don't need a key or speedo.

Glynis27

Jul 7, 2005
I live in Ohio. You say I don't need a speedo? I was going to contact the DMV and ask them, but I just wanted to get the basics from you guys so I can start sourcing parts.

-Ryan-

towlie

Jun 5, 2005
Dave,

In Cali is it feasible to make a two stroke street legal, or does the pollution laws only apply to high smog cities such as LA?

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
In Alabama there is no law that says a motorcycle has to have turn signals. {unless a new one has been applied} Check and see what your state requires, Here, when you go to register the title in your name, The clerk will hand you a tag! A lot of DMV people thinkthat a bike is a bike. My 2004 KDX title does NOT state " off road use only "
This may be viewed as dishonest by some, but I DO reccomend DOT tires for the bike IF you plan to ride it on the street a lot.
Dave

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
towlie said:
Dave,

In Cali is it feasible to make a two stroke street legal, or does the pollution laws only apply to high smog cities such as LA?

towlie - the reqirements for getting a plate don't vary between LA and the more remote areas. Most riding areas anywhere close to populated areas are subject to seasonal restrictions, usally during summer & fall. 'Red Sticker' bikes may not be able to ride while 'green stickers' and street plated bikes can ride.

It USED to be easy to street legalize a two stroke here. Same process as if you were doing an XR Honda. I street legalized a KDX200 and a KDX250, and many of my buddies had/have plates on two strokes such as KTM300's.

But times have changed. I think you can still do it if the bike is green sticker legal (you can check with Baja Designs, they would probably know for sure). But it is no longer legal to put a plate on a 'red sticker' bike. The law has been changed arouind a few times, but I think all '02 and newer two strokes are supposed to be red sticker. It was originally '97 and newer, but they really did not start handing out the reds until '00.

rxraptor02

Aug 7, 2004
Ryan,

I just updated my kdx for street use for MIchigan...

I pieced everything together for cheap.

headlight with the hi/lo and switch ran me like 120 bucks
rear mx fender was like 50
tail light was 65 shipped
tires 200ish
brakelight switch 14 dollars
mirror/horn 12 bucks
70 watt lighting coil 90 dollars

so for around 500 bucks I got it on the road and for the baja design kits you looking at about 500 bucks without tires.

what you might be able to do also is get a old streetbike that has the wiring harness for the blinkers/horn/lights and graft it in to your kdx's

this is from the fourstrokesonly web site, check your local DMV

To pass inspection you should/must have:

1. High/Low Headlight. and high beam indicator light.

2. Tail-brake & licesne plate light with plate holder, should work off battery.

3. Turn signals

4. Speedo w/ non reset odometer.

5. Horn.

6. I don't know if they check the tires.

All parts should be DOT Approved but you can sometimes get around this

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
rxraptor02 said:
Ryan,

I just updated my kdx for street use for MIchigan...

I pieced everything together for cheap.

headlight with the hi/lo and switch ran me like 120 bucks
rear mx fender was like 50
tail light was 65 shipped
tires 200ish
brakelight switch 14 dollars
mirror/horn 12 bucks
70 watt lighting coil 90 dollars
Street Legal-PRICELESS
Amended this a bit

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Don't be too afraid to contact the DMV. They can be surprising helpful. Just don't give them too much specific information, and you might want to call from a pay phone. Another source of information can be the local police, but they are not always on top of the current laws. They may tell you that turn signals are required, even if they aren't.

You should have head and tailights already, right? A mirror and a bulb horn are usually adequate. Get them from a good bicycle shop. It is likely that you need a brake light and Jeff Fredette at FRP has a great set-up for using a single filament....Hey you're in Ohio! They have enduros galore. Contact one of the local enduro clubs and I'm sure they can help you out. I have even heard of people getting a title for a bike in one state (where it is easy to get) and then transferring it to their own state.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom