Massachusetts Street Conversion

Brian2

Aug 2, 2001
I've searched all of the posts, and checked out Fourstrokesonly.com, bajadesigns.com, even http://www.dmv.state.vt.us/documents/TA/VD/Tavd119.pdf, but what I need to know is:
Has this worked for anyone here?
My bike is a 95' KDX 2(3)00 what this means is that for the sake of VT paperwork, I'm willing to call my KDX a 300. Will VT catch on? VT also seems to require my local law enforcement person to verify my VIN (because I want an out of state title). I imagine that this would go over more smoothly if I convert my bike ahead of time, but would rather make sure I can get a title, registration, plates, and insurance before buying the kit, stator, and tires for approx. $600 u.s.

Can anybody help me out?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
When I checked about 2 years ago, VT had provisions for legalizing under 300 cc bikes. It was different paperwork than 300+cc. You can call their DMV directly - they were pretty good about info when I talked to them. Sorry, don't have the # in my rolodex anymore.

Brian2

Aug 2, 2001
Thanks,....anybody else?

I just got off the phone with Baja Designs. They tell me that Mass. is not a problem state, but I can't be sure its not a sales tactic. The other problem is insuring the bike, anyone have a problem with that?

Brian2

Aug 2, 2001
Just got off the phone with Vermont DMV or whatever they are (802)-828-2000, and was told that my 200cc bike could not be titled because it is an OHV, I asked if I had a 300cc bike could I obtain a title, and was still told NO. I'm going to try massrmv - seems like a last ditch effort though.

Brian2

Aug 2, 2001
Possibilities for title and reg. from VT

1. Application for assignment of VIN must include all receipts and bill of sales for all components used to "build" vehicle
2. Application for tax - title -registration

These forms state that VT will not title vehicles under 200cc's OR ATV's. It may be possible to provide them with reciepts for a 300cc engine...snicker, and receipts for the bajadesigns conversion kit when asked for the component parts of your re-built vehicle.

There has got be an easier way!

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
I have a street legal KDX 220 in Pa. e-mail me if you need info. I used a Baja kit and I had to make additional modifications before PennDOT would give me the OK. Have you contacted E-Line since they are in Ma. I would think E-Line should have all your answers.

cameroncook

Aug 28, 2002
Here in VT, they are pretty relaxed about titling most anything. In state they don't require a title to register a bike under 300cc. Out of state, you should request a title for a converted or conversion vehicle, then upon verifying VIN # and receiving VT title, take the title to your dmv with bill of sale and register the beast. I think that you will need bill of sale and certificate of origin for dealing with VT dmv. Call Baja Designs, they do this all the time. Otherwise check out www.aot.state.vt.us/dmv/dmvhp.htm.
Might need to have that conversion completed before or at the time you are doing this...

Brian2

Aug 2, 2001
Person at VT DMV told me she couldn't help, since I do not have the certificate of origin... I have considered the ELine, but the kit is expensive and does not have a listing for my 1995 KDX.

I am considering the converted vehicle route...keep running into road blocks, and I'd rather not buy any hard parts until I know I can get this on the road. I'll call ELine tomorrow to see if they can help with a registration process, and maybe a parts catalog too.

cameroncook

Aug 28, 2002
You will most likely need that certificate of origin because like a lot of state departments, they will be most likely to help you if you can tell them exactly what you want them to do for you and can provide them with everything they need, i.e. make their state job easy for them. :)
Contact Kawasaki see if they can create a new certificate for your VIN.
I am pretty sure the dilemma BadgerMan presented only affects Vermonters. You are requesting a title for an out of state resident because VT is one of the only states that does this, different situation.
I will check to see if I still retain any of this info and get back to you because those eline and baja kits of so expensive.

lpracing77

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2002
Brian, I just filled out the VT registration and sent it to the VT DMV. They sent the plate and registration to my house in RI. technically its not street legal but its perfect for enduros and turkey runs.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…