CBHVR6

Apr 30, 2010
We just got a 96 rm125 along with me having a ttr225.

having the rm now makes me want to get a better bike than the 225.

problem is i like 4 strokes and like the size of the rm125.

the stupid question is, are there rm125f, cr125f, yz125f, kx125f?

or do they only start making four strokes in the 250s?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
A 125 2 stroke & a 250 4 stroke are roughly equal in power. Although a 4 stroke power is way different than a 2 stroke.

So the modern 250f is the replacement for the 125..

And remember, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people!! ;) :whoa:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Just get a CR500AF and not worry about the strokes.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
A Honda CRF230 would be very similar to the Yamaha TTR225...both beginner level trail bikes. You would gain very little from buying a CRF230. I would recommend that you spend some time on this site or elsewhere learning about different types of bikes and their purpose, that way you can make your own informed decision.

To answer your question, the big 4 all make very small 4 stroke bikes, such as 50cc all the way up to 450cc. Click on the link.

http://powersports.honda.com/offroad/trail.aspx

Of course, this lineup has varied throughout the years.

Last edited:

CBHVR6

Apr 30, 2010
well i'd like to venture into a older (late 90's) 2 stroke as a project. But i'm 95% of the time in fields and woods. how would a 2 stroke be in that terrain constantly? too jumpy?

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
I have a 2001 KX250 and it is a handfull, but really fun in the woods. Once you learn to ride it the 2 stroke can be a great trail bike. I have a buddy with a kx250 and a yz450f. He says that the 450 is harder to ride on the trails, great for tracks though.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
For an experienced rider, a 250 2 stroke can be a blast in the woods. For a beginner, the same bike can be very dangerous and frustrating...that snappy power can get you in trouble if you cant control it. You are 225 pounds right? I would recommend trying an XR400. I own a 2001 XR400 and they are good beginner bikes...plenty of controllable power and low maintenance. My friends are all beginners and they have a blast on the XR. It isnt the lightest bike made, but it has many other postive points that make up for the weight.

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
CBHVR6 said:

having the rm now makes me want to get a better bike than the 225.

problem is i like 4 strokes and like the size of the rm125.

the stupid question is, are there rm125f, cr125f, yz125f, kx125f?

or do they only start making four strokes in the 250s?

Hey buddy didnt know you were on here but a 2-stroke in the fields would be a blast when i get the RM fixed il be taking it to the track. :ohmy:

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
An RM 125 may be a "blast in the fields", but riding in an open field and riding trails is night and day. A MX 125 2 stroke is a poor trail bike for a long list of reasons.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
YZ__rider said:
An RM 125 may be a "blast in the fields", but riding in an open field and riding trails is night and day. A MX 125 2 stroke is a poor trail bike for a long list of reasons.

if this is more than just a debatable opinion, perhaps at least a short list would help the OP??

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
Sure

1) They have very little low end power. This is fine at the track when you are winding out 10,000 rpms almost constantly. However, when riding trails, there is not always opportunity to maintain the high rpms that a MX 125 requires to hit its powerband.
2) MX bikes are not geared correctly for the trail. For trail riding, it is best to have a wide ratio transmission. MX bikes have close range gearing and 1st gear is too tall. Sure, you can gear it down...then your top end will be very slow.
3) MX bikes have suspension set up for racing. The suspension is stiff for trail riding. You can replace the springs and make some adjustments, but an RM125's suspension will never perform like a true trail bike.
4) Small gas tanks on a MX bike limit your range...especially since 2 strokes will burn more fuel than a 4 stroke of the same size.
5) MX bikes dont have headlights. If you plan on riding trails at night, this could be an issue.

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
YZ__rider said:

I know that a 2-Stroke is horrible in the trails but the fields you can open them up, plus i know a guy that rules the trails with a YZ125 its all about gearing and setting it up.

YZ__rider

Jan 16, 2010
I never said a 2 stroke is horrible on trails, I said that a 125 MX bike is a poor trail bike. There are a handful of 2 stroke trail bikes that are designed for the trail. An example is the KTM 200 or 300 EXC or the Kawasaki KDX 200/220. I was looking at KTM 300 EXC's when I bought my Yamaha WR.

The important thing to note here is that an experienced rider can compensate for just about any bike's shortcomings. I know a guy that rides a KTM 250 SX (Super Cross, similar to motocross) on the trail and he can ride circles around me and my WR. If your friend "rules the trails" on a YZ125, he would be much better on a more trail friendly bike such as a KTM 200EXC.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
CBHVR6 said:

So who rides the RM125?

The first bike I ever owned was a YZ-125 and I had a lot of really good times on that bike. I am 6' tall and 190 lbs. It took me a while to get to the point where I could keep it in the power band when climbing hills and I finally dropped the front sprocket from a 13 tooth to a 12 tooth to help me out a bit.

When I started racing enduros I switched to a 250 two stroke. Funny thing, however, is that my best finish was when I was still riding that 125.

I recommend that you get some seat time on that RM125 and see how you like it The bike should feel so much lighter than that TTR you have been riding and you might really enjoy the feel. If you do OK on it then you might want to consider getting a 250 two stroke, but on the other hand if you are constantly stalling or just can't manage the power then you should look for a four stroke.

Rod

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
rmc_olderthandirt said:
So who rides the RM125?

The first bike I ever owned was a YZ-125 and I had a lot of really good times on that bike. I am 6' tall and 190 lbs. It took me a while to get to the point where I could keep it in the power band when climbing hills and I finally dropped the front sprocket from a 13 tooth to a 12 tooth to help me out a bit.

When I started racing enduros I switched to a 250 two stroke. Funny thing, however, is that my best finish was when I was still riding that 125.

I recommend that you get some seat time on that RM125 and see how you like it The bike should feel so much lighter than that TTR you have been riding and you might really enjoy the feel. If you do OK on it then you might want to consider getting a 250 two stroke, but on the other hand if you are constantly stalling or just can't manage the power then you should look for a four stroke.

Rod

I am cbhvr6's brother in law and the 125 he is talking about is mine.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom