bnr33

May 7, 2006
Alright,
Me:yrs 5'9" 170lbs novice rider haven't been on a bike for 10 years
Wife" 5'2, 120lbs never riden
Both in our 30's

Looking for a new thing to do together. We have talked about getting offroad or trail bikes.... Looking to ride easy stuff together to get into the sport....Easy trails... maybe beginner stuff at rampart....moab eventually....the back yard....

I have just started doing the homework
I have been thinking that in order to keep her interested I want to get to relatively comparable bikes....
Was thinking for example...(not really brand conscious, but came up with friends and family that owned suzuki's)

Her a suzuki dr-z 110 and me the 125.....
I don't ever see her getting too crazy....or become a speed demon... and I want to start with a rig that doesn't totally outclass her.... I want her to keep up at least....

So where do I start with homework...... what about my size choices.....

bnr33

May 7, 2006
spending...

was thinking around 2000-2500 for me and 1000-2000 bucks on her.... would like to stay under $4k

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas

bnr33

May 7, 2006
I read the post.... Had answered those questions.

I am looking for opinions on bikes to start out trail riding....no racing..... just have fun with the wife and get her interested.... Thats why I am looking at the starting level.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I doubt you would be happy for long on a 125 trail bike. . . Those are normally ridden by 11-13 year old kids that are about 5'0-5'5.

In fact, the 125 might be the better bike for her.

You might look at one of the 225/230 class bikes.

bnr33

May 7, 2006
thinking about

Ok... I was thinking about a ttr 230 for me and a 90, 110, or 125 for the wife....
Got a crazy buddy who says I need a 250...he does MX and enduro stuff....he's also over 10 years younger....

I am really looking for a decent trail bike.... so me and the wife can putt around the mountains.... I don't plan on racing...

He says the ttr230 will be gutless for me....I think he is trying to kill me... :)

bnr33

May 7, 2006
Ok from the top..

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
Me: 5'9" 170lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Moderately: Mt biker, BMXer, rock climber...though gettin old and don't want to kill myself
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Riding mostly trails...woods, mountains of colorado...not planning to ever race or take doubles, but not afraid to get a little air
4) Do you have any riding experience?
Limited...used to ride quads and 3wheelers.... putted around our farm on an old suzuki street bike maybe about a 250
5) Do you think you will race ?
No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I can but have friends more mechanically inclined
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Not really just looking for a decent bike at the price
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Anything I want is pretty much available
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Been thinking around 2-3k for me
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Seriously just looking for a couple of bikes for me and the wife to have fun on and start out.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
Her: 5'02 120
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Not so much... just wants to ride with me
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Woods trails....no tracks... no jumps
4) Do you have any riding experience?
No
5) Do you think you will race ?
No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
No
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Whatever I buy for her
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
Everything
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
500-$1500
10) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Just want to have fun... concerned about shifting and all.. can't even drive a manual car....

Hopefully this will give all a better idea.... I like the idea of a ttrr230 for me and a 90, 110, or maybe 125 for her.....

HELP.... we are excited in pursuing this....just want to start out reasonably...

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Look for a used Honda XR250R for you. It is an excellent trail bike that is way better than the 230s. For your wife I'd recommend a Yamaha TTR125L/Suzuki DRZ125L/Kawasaki KLX125L/Honda XR100R. Good luck.

bnr33

May 7, 2006
after some homework...

Knowing the types of riding we will be doing (nothing crazy... we are getting to old to miss work with broken bones) I thought about 2 options we want to look at:

For me: Yamaha TTR-230
For her: Kawasaki KLX-110

Strictly size wise I think we could have fun on these size bikes... The price is along the lines what we are looking for new...
She worries about shifting..... so I thought about the ttr-90e, but the 110 is the same price......

I am not concerned about my crazy racer friends saying I need something bigger..... I would rather putt around with my hot wife than kill myself with my crazy friends.

Kevin003

Jul 5, 2005
Id say a 250 for you andn a 125 for your wife. Any brand doesn't really matter. Id stay away from 4strokes though, thats just my personal preference 2 strokes are more cost efficient and easier to work on.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I would go with a TTR-125 for the wife. She will get very bored, very fast with the KLX-110, does that bike even have a clutch?

randymx

May 12, 2006
what area of CO are located in

Just moved to Highlands Ranch in CO (south of Denver) novice riders looking for families with similar interest that are not crazy. My wife is still learning and I have a 6 year old that is riding a 50cc.

Me - YZ250F
Wife - TTR125L
Son - KDX50

Don't really know the riding areas out here - but I have heard that Rampart range is close and accessible.

If you are interested let me know.

bnr33

May 7, 2006
OK... here we go again...

The wife got a lil spooked....sat on everything from a kawa 110 to suzuki125..... scared on the bikes..... ended up getting her a lil 90r quad that she fell in love with..... Now I have been looking...........

Friend O' mine.... who I still wants to see me feel serious bodily injury says I NEED a yz250f....he is a racer and crazy at that.... not to mention 10 years younger.....

My neighbor has a nice KDX200....2 stroke granted, but he rides trails and loves the bike...... I feel comfortable on it as well....
so I started thinking about the 2 strokes again.... his bike is sweet... then I found the bike I hope to look at tomorrow...

2003 Gas Gas 200exc.....seems to be a great deal..... What do you all think?

mele63

Feb 16, 2006
My wife is 5' tall. My 12 year-old is riding a KLX110 (his first bike). I'm hoping the wife will come out riding on the 110 when the boy gets a bigger bike.

I think seat height is a big issue for novice riders. I have a KX125 and I'm not crazy about hills because I can barely touch ground. The boy can "walk" the 110 up a hill if he loses traction.

The biggest issue here, is the 110 has an automatic clutch. I think that would be a plus for most women and kids.

Top Bottom