karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
On the way to Walnut this weekend I stopped by the fairgrounds to have a look at Wardy's place. Looks like my son and I are going to have to try that place out. My oldest just started riding last year on an XR100 and he has progressed to a YZ85. He is biting the bullet to start racing so I have been checking out the tracks that are somewhat safe for a beginner, or as safe as a track can be. We are going to do some select harescrambles this year but he also wants to try his hand at MX.

Mendota looks like a fun track. If the owner gets out there and gets to work that is, just kidding Wardy. So far we are going to at least ride practice days or try a race at Walnut, Mendota, South Fork, and LTM. Byron's elevation changes might be a bit much for him this soon. Any other good safe places for a beginner rider to try out?

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Wardy is going to be a busy boy in the next few weeks, now if you are going to ride Megacross, send me the rider info for my race program. Riders should do this so we get the information right in the book.
Main thing with our track, if he feels uncomfortable on it let me know. We have a plan for that with beginners.

wardy

email that profile to me at wardy@megacross.com

thanks

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Wardy

What kind of info do you need for the program? Name, rank, serial or do you want a bio also? I spoke with the kid and he is definatley interested but nervously so. I think what we will do is start with your harescramble coming up in May and then do the night program in Mendota once he is a little more comfortable. I may have to throw my hat into the geezer class though. That is if I can talk the wife into it. I got hurt pretty bad the last time I raced and promised her I was done with it. I don't think you ever really are so I have a bridge to mend now.

Do you know anymore details on this track you mentioned?

Chuck's MX (Pembrok Township, IL) 815-932-3621
Ammenities: Grooming
Practice track all sand south of crete

Is it an organized track like Fox Valley or is just a place in the woods people ride at? Do you know where exactly it is located?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
The sand track is in the hood by Hopkins Park and St. Anne, IL. It's nothing like FVOR. If you show up, you'll be lucky to find someone to take your money and unlock the gate. Then don't get off the property or you might get shot at :eek:

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Well that doesn't sound very neighborly. I can just see explaining that to their mother when I get back home. We had a great time riding, but had to shoot our way back to the highway.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
actually its not an exaggeration at all, kid rode off the place a few years ago. Joey is still with us since the guy shooting at him and hitting him had his gun jam, or Joey wouldn't be here. It was a bad deal for sure. Joey Brewer from Ottawa was the kids name.
I think alot of people ride there in the wet times, and get in the property and don't venture out, I have never been there.

wardy

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Moto Crazy is the name of the sand track in Hopkins Park. A friend of mine owns and runs the place. It's a hardcore sand track, very rough and whooped out with monster berms and it's long...lap times are comparable to a national track. When I say that it's sand, I mean all sand, there is no dirt whatsoever and it's just really deep, bottomless sand. It's the Illinois version of Southwick. The track gets groomed from time to time, and it will be smooth for a while but the bumps and whoops quickly return. The place is a real workout. The nice thing is that it's truly an all-weather surface. The wetter the better, and you can ride there pretty much year-round. When all the other riding areas are too wet, this place is primo.

As far as the bad neighborhood...yes, it's in a very depressed area. Hopkins Park and Pembroke are the two little towns you drive through on the way to the track and when you go through those places on the southeast side of Kankakee, you feel like you're in Delta Blues country. It's a different world over there. However, with that said, I do not feel the track is an unsafe place at all. The neighbors are friendly people as long as you stay on Moto Crazy property and off theirs. I've never had a problem out there with anyone and neither has the owner of the track. The incident involving the gunshot a couple of years back happened on property away from the track on the other side of the road and down a bit. That person was poaching on someone else's property and did not have permission to be there. I've heard conflicting reports over what really happened, but the consistent story I've heard is that the landowner told the kid to get off his property and the kid refused, a nasty verbal exchange took place and then a confrontation happened. Bottom line, if you ride where you're supposed to ride at Moto Crazy, you won't have any issues. The property is fenced off and has a very sturdy gate and the locals don't bother anyone. I wouldn't let the neighborhood and gunshot incident from a couple years back scare you off from trying it. I've been there many times and my wife has also ridden there with me and we feel perfectly safe.

If you like sand, you'll love this place. If you hate sand, you obviously aren't going to like it. If you're interested in trying it out sometime, e-mail me at bbrooks47@attbi.com and I'll give you more details on it.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
yep Bob is right, the incident that i spoke of above was only a one time deal. many people practice there that live in that area. I have only seen pictures, but it looks comparable to the type of track and terrain that kiethsburg has if anyone remembers that place.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by wardy
I have only seen pictures, but it looks comparable to the type of track and terrain that kiethsburg has if anyone remembers that place.

Not only do we remember it, we still ride there. Of course, the whoops are even deeper than they use to be. :scream:

Dist. 22 runs a hare scramble there every spring.

About the only good time to ride is through out the winter and spring because of the sand. Plus the horse people perty well take it over during the summer which is fine.

Top Bottom