karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Nikki

What tracks do you recommend for a kid starting out. I live in Oswego and he loves Wardy's place. I can't get him off that track when we are down there. We took a look at Walnut last weekend and it seemed very safe also. He said no way to Byron, those elevation changes were a little intimidating for him. You have been to most of the tracks around here. How do tracks like US51, South Fork, Casey, and Galesburg compare to Walnut? We checked out Mendota on the way out to Walnut and he liked the looks of it also. What would be your ranking of these or other tracks to try out, at least on a practice day.

I think what he likes or what doesn't intimidate him, is lots of jumps, but jumps that if he doesn't make it he doesn't have to worry about the end result. I think thats what he liked when he saw Walnut and Mendota. Somewhere safe to land if he doesn't clear it.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
Buffalo Range in Ottawa has a peewee track as well.  (815)433-2471.  Don't know if they are open yet.  My five year old was terrified of Byron for his first time there.  He even crashed on the big downhill.  Now he likes the track.  We are actually going out there on Monday, if they have open riding.  Good luck.

Dist1740b

~SPONSOR~
Jun 17, 2000
Same Here, My Son (5)
Is only comfortable at FVOR and Buffalo's seperate mini track.
(I am sure anyones Seperate mini track )
I have spoken to Deaf ears to the other tracks that they need a Mini track
not only on Race day just to speed things along But for there safety...

They have "Bunny hill's " at ALL ski hills dont they!?!
Tony

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Hmm... beginner tracks...

Like others said - FVOR and Buffalo Range are the closest and best two places that come to mind. Byron, Coal Valley, Galesburg, and Cayuga all have big elevation changes. Even Casey has it's fair share of elevation changes but does have a grass track and trails and other spots for beginners to ride. Joliet is similar to Mendota (flat and lots of jumps and night track) and Joliet also has a mini track and is currently building a MX style track for practice this year. South Fork is flat and pretty beginner friendly, kinda similar to the big track at Buffalo without the big jumps. Walnut is pretty beginner friendly except the big sand berms could be tricky for a beginner. Hoopeston was a great beginner track but went outta business. Same for Wapella (US 51) also pretty good beginner track - they aren't having D-17 races this year but might be a place to go practice one day.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Hmmmm mini track what an idea...............

:)

think buffalo's was built in 96' yep it was finished the night before the first MX race held there, at 2 am in the morning in the rain. Also was the last night that my skid loader ran without an enclosed cab, that was one light cold rain, and long night.
FVOR's mini track will be completed this year for sure.

wardy

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Wardy

Any plans to do a more hardcore track for the racers? Something similar to Mendota so they can come out to FVOR to practice.

Top Bottom