Cheater

Aug 15, 2006
My friends and I hit a few of the michigan trails last year, and I was wondering what some of the other trails are like. Which ones you ride? We rode the denton leota trails, the gladwin trails, and the St. Helen trails. Do you ever ride at the sand dunes?

J

Jabs

You must be staying in the Houghton lake area if you're riding those loops. Try the Higgins lake loop or go a little north of that at the Waters exit. Those are both nice day rides. Oh and don't forget Bull gap if you like to boogie up sand hills. Be carfull of the pink store... you might get shot

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
If you are in the Rose City Mio area please make a point to stop at the pink store on the east side of M33 north of Rose City. They are pro orv and we need to support our friends. The owner was assaulted recently and they will need our business more than ever. Have fun.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
You sound like your in Trail Sampling Mode (hey Ted - got another acronym for us, TSM...).
You need to scoot up to Wolverine and hit Tomohawk.. Way much fun - lots of boulders and tight stuff and gorgeous scenery.. Camp at Weber Lake and ride from the trailhead down the road.. Someone else needs to tell you about the Upper Pen - I hear moon rocks are way cool up there but you gotta know where/when to find em. Also, you HAVE to get ahold of Yzman and get info about Drummond,, gurantee your outlook of Michigan will never be the same, go with his good friend and life long commarade Chris up there for the time of your life.. Might want to start lookin for a new frame for your YZF first though....
You mentioned Dunes,,,, Silver Lake Sand Dunes are pretty cool for a couple days of goofin around - we used to ride the dunes in the Winter too. DEFINITLY worth the time to check out if you have never ridden in beach sand.. Dont bother with a paddle - just tighten your rim locks front and back - let the air in tires down to 4 psi.. You have plenty of motor on your 426, LOTS of fun jumps on the dunes, falling dont hurt as bad either.. Go during the week unless you like lots of traffic or wanna watch the ladies.. If your into that, wait till a summer holiday - craaaaazzzzyyyyyyy stuff up there then.. Oh yea, they are way strict on NOISE at Silver! Also, you gotta have a state park sticker as well as an ORV and abide by all ORV rules - pretty simple really..
Also suggest that you do the Snow Chicken comin up, if there is snow you WILL want to toss in some screws. Its ran out of Pea **** LTD every year (*just norht of Baldwin on M-37) - GREAT chance to see some of our funnest trails (gotta vary a little to catch the BEST though - THE OL BOON TRAIL) and do it with a great group of folks! be warned though, sometimes the single trail is way to deep and ya end up on the sled trail - not as much fun unless you like highway speeds on ice YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Shoot over and grab Tin Cup during the summer,then ride from Lincoln Hills Bridge north on the Boon Trail (section of the MCCT on the northwest side) to the town of Boon and back, then come over and grab Horseshoe and Blue Lake on the west side (if your into high speed woods with LOTS of whoopen grab Twistie over here too)..
Beyond all that about the only fun left in Michigan is just plain ol Cross Country ridin with the likes of CW and son Curty, Young Ted, Scooter, LT, Craze, YZMAN, 2big, over50, KTMMike an the like.. If you do that though bring a lunch and a GPS cause you will need them both... Oh yea, if ya ride with YZMan bring extra toilet paper so the leaves dont get all icky.... Oh, and if ya ride with Ted DONT let him lead, he dont know North fromEast once he leaves Chitown.. Ohhhhh,, and if ya ride with Scooter (Larry) bring an extra sandwich (with lots of cheese on it) cause he gets orniary when he is hungry.. Ohhh and if you ride with Over50 bring extra clean clothes to get your picture taken in - you WILL get your pic taken.. Oh,, and if you ride with KTMMike and 2Big,,, wellllllll,, dont ride with them cause you will never be right again hahahha
After all this ridin if you dont find the fun your lookin for you may as well sell your bike and get into a different sport cause this one aint for you hahahahha
take that back, On second thought,, I have some good friends out in California that could lead you into the oblivion known as Jaw Bone out near Mojave.. Best get used to hangin with these Michgan first though cause that bunch out there are a little dangerous ---- you need to get your supply "dont care if I die" and "Pain is no object" built up as well as your techinique for dodging bears and cougars in the middle of the night built up BEFORE you go venturing out of Michigan....
Oh yea,, here is a little secret for you,, there will be chatter of a SOW ride coming up.. SOW stands for Sick Of Winter (someone may say replace Winter with my name sake but that aint cool..) and some rascal out of Sand Lake named Marlin chimes the bell around spring time usually.. DONT BE AFRAID TO MAKE THIS RIDE!!! You REALLY wanna come out - its GREAT FUN and ALWAYS ends in laughter and fun...
there, that should get you started
Woodsy........

SNDMN2

Jul 18, 2003
Oh,and if you ride with Woodsy bring overnight acomadations.It may be just a rumor but I"ve heard his sense of direction is somewhat challenged. Like I said just a rumor I heard.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
No rumor to it. It is fact, if you can wake him up in the first place. Come to think of it though, that is the problem in the second place. The above mentioned references can attest to it also.

Young Ted

Cheater

Aug 15, 2006
Thanks guys,that was pretty helpful.. I don't know many people that trail ride. and the trail books are not that informative. I heard that black lake was pretty cool too. Every been there?

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Black Lake has some neat stuff. There's ORV Routes for those that want the wide stuff. The ORV Trails near the lake are so-so, more use so more probability of being whooped out. There's a small scrambles area there too with a few hills (big sandy hills with lots of whoops). Nice spot to screw around for a while.
The trail to the north is pretty decent and not overly-used. Pretty narrow in spots although technically a 50" trail.
Bummers Roost to the south is ok in spots but generally a whooped out mess.
The Bluffs Resort is a nice campground with direct trail access. They have cabins, electric sites and rustic, plus showers and - best of all - a gas pump and restaurant right in the campground (it's also a bar, but that's lower on my list).
Right next door is a State Forest Campground. For the price, I'd rather stay at the Bluffs.
The county roads are open to ORVs up there as well.

rooster125

Oct 4, 2006
Great info for me as well as I'm getting into the sport again. I never really did any trail riding mostly just playing around on friends land. I just bought a couple of 2 strokes in and was wondering if many of these trails require street legal bikes due to street crossing/riding? My bikes are in moto trim not to mention I don't currently have a license. Im in Grand Rapids and look forward to hitting silver lake just because I've heard so much about it - any more thoughts or suggestions on Silver?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
rooster125 said:
Great info for me as well as I'm getting into the sport again. I never really did any trail riding mostly just playing around on friends land. I just bought a couple of 2 strokes in and was wondering if many of these trails require street legal bikes due to street crossing/riding? My bikes are in moto trim not to mention I don't currently have a license. Im in Grand Rapids and look forward to hitting silver lake just because I've heard so much about it - any more thoughts or suggestions on Silver?

Some trails require a street legal bike, some dont. All depends on where you are riding.

To ride something like Cedar Creek in Muskegon all you need is a spark arrested silencer that will pass a 94db sound test (fmf turbinecore is a good choice) and an orv sticker. Stay on the trail, ride safe and have fun.

I live in Muskegon. If you want to ride over this way just let me know. Ill be glad to show ya around. Lots to choose from over this way. Cedar, Holton/Horseshoe, White Cloud. Lots of good stuff within a short drive. Still gonna have to wait a few weeks for the snow to clear though. its a little deep out there still.

rooster125

Oct 4, 2006
YZMAN400 I will definitely take you up on your offer! I sent you a e-mail trying not to hi-jack the thread, I'm also looking for info on Drummond Island after Woodsy said you have experience up there.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
You guys are in good hands if you can hook up with YZMAN! No one better or funner to ride with.. That being said Don,, if I find ONE apple missing from my secret lunch tree I am coming after ya... Braaaaaaaaaaaaaapppp,, I mean, puttputtputtputt

Top Bottom