BadCRC

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2003
Northwest Georgia
Since you guys were so helpfull with my question about torque wrenches to buy...

What range(s) of micrometers are good for bikes, and what brands do you guys like?

I'm wanting to get one to measure my carb float, and the occasional rotor or pad, etc.

Thanks again! :thumb: :worship:

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Might want to get a set of Calipers while you are at it. Same brands recommended here. I would also recommend getting the micrometer and caliper with the digital display as that way converting and measuring in Millimeters is a simple push of a button.

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
I'm Bad, I'm Bad, I'm Bad. Oops, if i keep that up I'll be in court for at least copyright infringment. At worst I'll be wearing a mask my nose will be falling off and I'll have special friends in my bedroom to justify. :eek:
Really spend the money. You should be able to get both digital for $330. Well worth the investment, believe me. :thumb:

JE223

Feb 22, 2004
I agree that Starret and Mitotoyo are good brands. There are a lot of high quality tools out there. It doesn't sound to me like you are going to use these tools very much, so I wouldn't buy the most expensive brands. I think a good quality dial caliper is all you will need. Most calipers in the $50 range will do everything you need. I don't like digital calipers myself. The battery is always dead at the wrong time. Doesn't matter how many batteries you have, changing them takes time. The ability to convert is nice, but not worth it in my mind. I work with these tools every day(machinist 22 yrs) and I do have Starret, Mitotoyo, Brown & Sharp and other high quality and high price brands, but the tool that is used the most is my cheap calipers. Most people can't take advantage of the .0001" capability of the best mikes, so why spend the money for them. JMO

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i bought my digital calipers from harbour freight for $20 and they do everything i need to do on my bike, including basic engine tuning, clutches and revalving!

i dont need to get an accurate measurment with my pistons though since i can tell they need to be swapped by looking at them!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom