Mid 30's beginner just starting out in Ottawa, Ontario

slamigo

Dec 12, 2005
Hey all,

I just bought a new CRF50 for my son for Christmas and decided to pick up a mint used 2000 YZ125 for myself so I can tag along with my little guy.
I haven't ridden a dirt bike since I was 10, so I'm pretty much learning everything from scratch. Any pointers anyone can provide about getting into the sport would be much appreciated. As of right now, I'm pretty good at flooding the engine and replacing the spark plug :bang: on my YZ125.
I'm located in Ottawa, Ontario, so hopefully there's some good ole Ottawa Valley boys who can steer me in the right direction.
Don't expect too many posts from me as I'll most likely just be lurking and trying to gather as many tech and riding tips as possible.

Cheers!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Welcome aboard. Our association offers MX schools in Manitoba so hopefully some of the Ontario boys can send you in the direction of some in your area. As for the flooding, most 2 strokes I've owned have always responded to this starting method for cold starts, kick with choke on and no throttle. If it's already warm like after a spill and doesn't fire on the first kick or two hold the throttle wide open with no choke until she fires.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

Thanks for setting up your User CP and updated information relating to your location. Grab a spot on the couch and tell us a bit about yourself. How long you have been riding, what kind of riding you prefer, where you are located, etc. We will do our best to hook you up with some fellow dirt bike enthusiasts.

We have some folks there in Ottawa and a bunch in the Toronto area. Check out the Ontario Chapter forum for opportunities to hook up with some fellow DRNers.

Again, welcome to the site and shout if you have any questions!

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I'm 33 and 4 months ago bought a CR125 so I could ride with my son. The best thing we did was start going to riding class every Friday night. It's a great time and I've learned more than I can even execute on the bike!

I imagine its tough to ride in Canada this time of year though eh?
Good Luck!

slamigo

Dec 12, 2005
well, I picked up a Clymer's book for my bike and decided to educate myself. Chili's comments are pretty much straight out of the textbook. I've figured out what I was doing wrong starting up the bike. It was cold out and I didn't have the choke on. Then I turned off the fuel supply thinking that it was the reserve. Then I opened the fuel supply and with lots of right wrist action promptly flooded the engine and fouled the plug. Call me Mr. Newbie. The Clymer book is amazing and I've learned a lot already.
As for riding right now, it's a little too cold outside (-14 C, + 6 F). I'm happy to just go up and down my 80' gravel laneway for the moment. There are plenty of trails nearby and Sand Del Lee motocross track is less than 1/2 hour away. We went to Toronto last weekend to watch the Supercross and my little guy was totally stoked. He's only 3 1/2, but he already has a favorite rider (Bubba) and is crazy about kawasakis. He likes green bikes and he likes Bubba because he rides a green bike. I actually bought him a kawasaki decal kit with new plastic for his honda so that he'll think it's a kawasaki.
Well, thanks for the replies and I will post again with a progress report on my son's first 50 experience.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
slamigo said:
He likes green bikes and he likes Bubba because he rides a green bike.
He's young enough you can still teach him that the red bikes are the best ones!

slamigo said:
I actually bought him a kawasaki decal kit with new plastic for his honda so that he'll think it's a kawasaki.
Well, thanks for the replies and I will post again with a progress report on my son's first 50 experience.
that's child abuse!

Top Bottom