kjk70031

Jun 27, 2002
Hi there, I have a 91 kdx 200. Last year i noticed that i had milky oil in the case. Later on I crashed and now I am just starting to ride again. My friends dad said it is a blown head gasket. I do not believe it is though. Do you guys no what it is? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Kraig

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
It could be a blown head gasket, base gasket, water pump seal, or you may have submerged the engine in a water crossing getting water in through the crankcase breather tube. One way to tell if it's coolant is if the coolant level drops after a ride & you know there's no external leaking. If you're a serious clutch abuser (or a slipping clutch) it could be fine clutch material sort of making the oil appear 'milky'.

kjk70031

Jun 27, 2002
I know it is anti-freeze. I am not at all a clutch abuser. the last three rides i have been on it had barely leaked any, if any? Have any of guys had this problem before?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
kjk70031 said:
I know it is anti-freeze. I am not at all a clutch abuser. the last three rides i have been on it had barely leaked any, if any? Have any of guys had this problem before?

Most likely the waterpump impeller shaft is grooved and the oil seal is shot. If this is the case you need to replace impeller shaft, bearing and both oil seals. You'll most likely need a new water pump gasket as well.

These are the part numbers for your 91 KDX.

11009-1998 GASKET,WATER PUMP COV
13234-1089 SHAFT-COMP,PUMP
92045-1212 BEARING-BALL
92049-1366 SEAL-OIL,MHSD8X18X10J
92049-1359 SEAL-OIL

-Maurice

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
I had the same problem 2 years ago. I putted a new water pump seal and impeller shaft with no result.The oil was still milky after many flush....

I found the problem last year...

Countersprocket and clutch shaft (the one enter in the clutch cover) oil seals was shot so the water entered by this 2 places.This was the reason why my oil was still milky...

Look at this 2 seals first... good luck.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
The part numbers that I posted are for a 91 KDX 200 but will work for any KDX 200 from 89-94. The only difference is that starting in 91 they added a second oil seal. The 89 and 90 KDX 200 didn't have the second oil seal, but you can run both seals on the 89 and 90 models. The countershaft seal and clutch shaft seal both get shot and leak as well. During your disassembly check and replace them if necessary. Don't forget to grease them if necessary.

-Maurice

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom