m_champoux

Mar 29, 2001
Last year, I asked my dealer to install new springs for my KDX. Because it was a little bit stiff for my riding, this year I bought new .40 and was going to sell what my dealer had installed.

My big suprised was that they put .42 and .44 saying that I was going to have .43 springs ???? :think:

Is it normal to combine different springs rate for the each fork ????

Thanks in advance

patrickv

Aug 1, 2001
I would say no !!!!

If you need to set the fork oil level the same in both fork for better performance. Why would someone want to use different spring rate in their fork?

Patrick
XR400 for sale,
KDX 2002 soon ... :aj:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Some forks have all the compression on one side and all the rebound on the other.Some forks i believe only have one spring.The 2 forks are tied together with the clamps-they both have to go down at the same rate, they cannot twist due to the strength of the clamps/axle arrangement.So the bike doesnt know if one spring is softer than the other, it only sees the combined force of the springs.

Many forks have different airgaps(in the same pair) due to owners not knowing how to set them properly.These riders do not know it is set wrong from feel.I understand from a engineering principle it sounds wrong but in reality it makes no difference.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Ive used missed matched springs for years and have had no problem. In many cases it's the only way to get an in between spring rate, say a .43 or .45 ect.. I had a chance to ask Steve Butler of team Yamaha about this and he said they mix springs in their testing. One tip he suggested was to always run the heavier spring on the brake caliper side because of it's added load. :thumb:

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
geez, I was so fixated about getting the oil level exactly the same in both forks :silly:

Still couldn't see myself mixing spring rates (until I have my forks done somewhere and am completely amazed at how well they work, w/o knowing there are two different spring rates..lol :) )

Esp1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 14, 2001
Good results with mixing spring-rates over here too! As Steve125 said, it's sometimes the only way to fine-tune the spring rate.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I got a .42/.40 combo in my 03 EXC right now for a .41

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom