L_B_Z

Mar 10, 2000
How competitive could a fairly modified XR 400 be at enduro or hare scramblers..

(stuff like FMF header pipe and muffler, dyno jet kit,all unwanted weight taken of bla bla ect ect)

oh yer and how would it do in the dunes?

jeffg

Jul 5, 2000
LBZ, it's not the bike so much as how competitive are you? The XR400 was the 1999 Canadian HS Champion's ride that year. If bike fits your style and is easy for you to ride, you can do quite well aboard it. Good luck!

sKiNNyWhEaT

Mar 30, 2001
dude i ride a modified xr400. the thng rips in the woods! go to xrsonly and get any mods for the bike there. other than MAJOR suspension mods the bike in stock form is really nice in the woods.
im riding a 430kit with headporting and major carb polishing. im still useng the stock exhaust, as it builds more torque for the tight trails
smile.gif
. im also 5'3" and 140 pounds.

mgorman

May 8, 2000
Ride it as it is for now. Power in the woods will only get you hurt and prematurely worn out. Make sure the suspension is compliant in the dampening and the springs correct for your weight. I left the dampening on the light side and used heavier springs to keep it from sagging in mud and under my weight. I have a set of springs for a 220 lb rider that will fit it for $100 + shiiping. 0.46 front and 12.0 rear.
mgorman@sssnet.com

------------------
mgorman,
Thumping since 1980
"If the competition is not wasted, the day is"

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
I've been riding my XR4 in Hare Scrambles this last winter. Now the HS I've been riding is not a normal HS as it's held in an open area, no trees. But when the trails are snowed in here in Colorado you ride where you can.

The XR is competive in the turns and short straights. It shows it's weight on the MX portion of the track. The XR is just not a jumping bike. The only other place I have problems is this one long straight, it's probably 1/2 mile long. The XR4 will not keep up with the YZ426/KTM 400/520 crowd (I'm geared a little low) but I have not finished last yet.

------------------
Don't worry, it only seems kinky the first time..

AMA Member
Blue Ribbon Member
Colo. Off-Highway Vechicle Coaliation member

Top Bottom