More hybrid questions - Sorry guys

sintax

Dec 20, 2006
hey guys,

I was able to get a lot of info from some searches, but I am still unclear about a few things.

I'm planning on using a 2003+ chassis with a 97+ engine

On the later model 2003+ chassis, what is the easiest pipe to use? I read about using the torque ring to set the pipe out a little more. Will a standard 2003-2005 KX125/250 silcencer bolt up to that pipe?

That is really the only Got'cha I can see at this time.

This is not my first hybrid, but hopefully will be my last. Last year a built a 2002 KX250 w/ a 99 KX500 engine. Its my primary bike right now and this will be my secondary. I had to get a custom pipe and silencer built for that one. I'd like to just use as many standard products as possible. So if i can use a KDX pipe that would be killer.

I'm also stoked about the rear head stay in the 2003+ bikes. That was one less headache I wont have to mess with.

Thanks in advance!

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
You'll want to use an FMF/PC pipe for kdx220 or 95+ 200. I think that's really your only option. There will be a bit of massaging and re-locating of mounts to make it work well. I would use a KDX silencer as well, if it were my project.

There will be several gotcha's along the way, I promise. All the hybrid bikes are 1 off's, and everybody ends up doing things differently. I plan on starting one whenever funds allow purchase of a nice 125 roller. Best of luck with the build! When you're done you'll have one hell of a woods weapon!!

Have you been on the hybrid forums at kdxrider.net? Sorry to plug another site here, but it really is a great resource for the project you're undertaking.

sintax

Dec 20, 2006
julien_d said:
You'll want to use an FMF/PC pipe for kdx220 or 95+ 200. I think that's really your only option. There will be a bit of massaging and re-locating of mounts to make it work well. I would use a KDX silencer as well, if it were my project.

There will be several gotcha's along the way, I promise. All the hybrid bikes are 1 off's, and everybody ends up doing things differently. I plan on starting one whenever funds allow purchase of a nice 125 roller. Best of luck with the build! When you're done you'll have one hell of a woods weapon!!

Have you been on the hybrid forums at kdxrider.net? Sorry to plug another site here, but it really is a great resource for the project you're undertaking.

Sounds good on the pipe. I'm not too worried about the relocation of the mounting tabs on the frame.

I dont doubt there will be a few more snags along the way. The only figures i really dont have at this time, is figuring out how much the swingarm and swingarm bushings will need to be trimed. I have the specs for what I did my KX500 with, and i'm guessing they'll be close. Maybe someone has that data online somewhere. And boring the rear mount on the engine. I'm assuming its a 15mm to 17mm job just like the 500.

I actually signed up for KDXriders today. Waiting on the Admin to approve me.

Tedh98

Nov 9, 2009
The airbox/airboot may be one other 'gotcha'. There are a couple of ways to handle that. You'll see those on the site julien_d referenced.

Top Bottom