Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thought I'd post some great motorcycle pics I found while going through my dad's photo albums. He started a club back in the late 60's / early 70's called Wheels of Fortune. Mostly a street bike club that put on ride events and charity runs, they dabbled in some offroad racing on weekends. My dad did some occasional riding (street and dirt) up through the early '90s, and was active with the USFS ORV Safety Patrol.

1970 - Muskegon hill climb. Beatnik biker dude.
01.jpg

1971 - Muskegon hill climb. Mod biker dude.
02.jpg

1971 - Muskegon hill climb. That's the hill in the background.
03.jpg

1971 - Harescramble race. Full-face street helmet, leathers, and 4" suspension.
04.jpg

1971 - Harescramble race, different shot.
05.jpg

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Wheels of Fortune Motorcycle Club - dad on far right.
06.jpg

Wheels of Fortune. Dad is 3rd from left in the bad-ass Brando hat.
07.jpg

Wheels of Fortune bike trip, circa 1971.
08.jpg

1972 - Drag race, possibly Milan. Dad is leading in the orange helmet (same gear he wore harescrambling).
09.jpg

Bringing home the hardware drag racing.
10.jpg

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Honeymooning in the Catskills, 1971.
11.jpg

Honeymooning in the Catskills, 1971.
12.jpg

Christmas 1970 - Honda QA-50 "Sprout Green"
13.jpg

My brother learning to ride a dirt bike... on icy sidewalks.
14.jpg

OK kid, where's your helmet!?
15.jpg

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Building skills that'll last a lifetime! Me - left, brother Ron spinning donuts.
16.jpg

Dad giving rides... 35 years before Thor's General Lee gear!
17.jpg

Even the older ladies like to go for rides!
18.jpg

1974 (age 10). Boy I wish we would've kept that XR-75.
19.jpg

Grandpa Smith, Otsego Lake, 1971. He was always clowning around... Never would have guessed he was mayor of L.A. (Lake Ann, MI!)
20.jpg

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
awesome! I remember those days and those DT Yamahas.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Wonderful............very cool. Those HS shots are classic and should be framed!

I had a Yamaha 60 just like that 'cept for the Hooker pipe.

SGJ_Johansen

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 28, 2004
cool pic's Bill. Glad to see you back to posting again. Look forward to riding with you and Zack this spring. I took Brent out this after noon on the new grass track. He is still a little tame on the KX. I was riding the KX I got from you. That is one wheeling machine, WOW! It is much more chrisp that the other KX. Must be the pipe and jetting.

Brian

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Neat stuff Bill.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
the coolest

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Outstanding pics - and better memories! Makes me want to dig though some old pics I have of my dad.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
INCREDIBLE photos. PS, I had the plaid pants just like you. I used to wear them to gymnastics because I thought the polyester "stretch" helped me do the splits better. :)

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Those are great photos Bill, thanks for sharing them, and it's great to see you back on the site!

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Look at the 7th picture.... :ohmy:
THATS why my parents always told me "You must have a helmet !"

Crazy4nitro

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
What a great way to remember your Dad. Awesome pictures, :cool: I can really see the family resemblance. Was that a mini enduro with a hooker header pipe, Oh the memories :ride:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
BadgerMan said:
... I had a Yamaha 60 just like that 'cept for the Hooker pipe.
As an 8-year old kid wandering around my Dad's store, I thought those Hooker stickers were so dirty... :debil:

390.gif

SGJ_Johansen said:
... I was riding the KX I got from you. That is one wheeling machine, WOW! It is much more chrisp that the other KX. Must be the pipe and jetting.
That bike is a 143lbs ROCKET! The power-to-weight makes our 2-hundy's seem puny by comparison. Watch for fouled plugs when it gets warmer. I leaned out the jetting slightly, but didn't get in a whole lot of seat time to test it.

Hope to see you guys at Kalkaska the end of April!

GETMETOCA said:
... I had the plaid pants just like you
I eventually moved away from plaid pants, but do still have the paisley tie. It all comes back in style...

Thanks for all the other comments too. Life is short... make memories that'll outlive you...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
My first full size motorcycle was a 1973 Kawasaki F6 125 cc rotary valve and I put a Hooker Header on that baby. :worship: I really thought I was sumtin. I was 17 years old.

WildBill

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 29, 2002
Cool pics, Bill. Thanks for sharing them with us. I didn't have a bike, but I'm sure we all had a pair of those plaid pants! :laugh:

Right now, I'm in the process of sorting and scanning pics my Dad has taked over the years. Dad isn't in to bikes, but we enjoyed a ton of camping and fishing trips over the years. Bad thing is that they are all slides and are starting to fade.

We've got to cherish the memories we have and never stop making new ones!

:ride:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I also have boxes and boxes of slides that my dad took, along with a 60's vintage projector. The projector has a tendency to stick and jam the slides, sometimes ruining them. I'm going to look into this service to digitize them.

http://www.slidescanning.com/

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom