JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
Hey ya'll i just took my bike out to busco beach in NC for the first time this afternoon with my YZ 125. I saw a mud pit, not knowing how deep it was and went for it. Turns out it was over 2 foot deep. I immediately Flew over the handle bars and the bike fell over onto its right side. Im fine and the bike seems fine. Someone there recommeded i stand the bike staright up, and about 20oz of murky water came out of the exhaust...

I plan on taking off the exhaust and cleaning it thoroughly with water tomorrow. Is there anything else i should look for before i try to start her back up?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Water carries dirt. Dirt ruins engines. If you got muddy water in through the airbox or exhaust it really should get torn down and flushed out/cleaned well.

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
thanks for the advice. do you think i will be ok examining/cleaning just the top end for dirt? if i do find some dirt/debri in there, can i just use water to clean it out? or...since it died immediately, if i dont find any dirt or debri in there is there anything in particular i should be looking for...scratches on the piston or anything... i havent even done a top end on the bike yet, so i have very little experience, but im pretty confident i can get this figured out... i just want it in working order by next weekend if possible.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Gasket sets are cheap and the dealer should have them in stock. It shouldn't take but a couple hours to pull the motor and have a look. How many hours on it? Due for rings? It would be a good time to pop them in. Look for scratches on the piston and cylinder walls. I've only drown 1 bike and I just poured some premix in the bottom end and swished it around then dumped it out a few times. Be sure to take the carb apart and clean it out very well. Airbox/boot as well.

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
Theres maybe 4 or 5 hours on the Top end. Will I definetely need a gasket set? I planned on tearing it apart first thing in the morn, but if i need a gasket set, ill wait until tuesday... the shop is closed tomorrow. I kinda figured what i had to do, but, i wanted a second opinion so i didnt miss anything -Thanks for all the help joe.

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
even over the course of just a day or two? well either way, my buddys coming over at 8AM and were gonna break it down, whether we can put it together same day or not is another story (might need parts, etc.), ill get in there and see what it looks like, at least i will clean it and dry it by tomorrow. I really appreciate all the help. If i have any questions when i get in there, i know who to turn to. Thanks again

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
If you want some good info about what the muddy water may have done read this http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=175383

Yours may not be as bad, but it sounds like you may have put dirt through your motor and like JOE said dirt ruins engines. sr5bidder left his for a day and by the time he split the cases the mains were stuffed.
Tear it down FAST to minimise possible corrosion.

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
So, we've started the teardown. The airfilter is clean. The exhaust is off and i drained the bottom end. A small amount of sand came out with the oil. Im guessing the next step is to remove the gas tank and take the whole engine out...

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yes, remove the gas tank and probly the radiators. The sand in the oil is scary. It should be relatively hard for sand to get in the tranny. If it got in there there's a good chance the crankcase has sand in it as well. Try not to turn the crankshaft while disassembling and flushing. I sure hope it's clean in there and it all goes OK for you after you get it cleaned out. It's a shame this happened right after you got your new bike...

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
i finally got the top end off, and there was a little bit of muddy colored water in there. The mud i fell into was more clay like, than dirt or sand. I dont know if that matters at all. I dont see any visible damage to the piston or the sleeve. What is the next step in the process. Do i split the cases now?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Well, ideally you should. If there is dirt in the main bearings it will trash them in a hurry as soon as they start turning. The piston and cylinder should be fine as long as there's no scoring.

If you can afford to roll the dice and try to flush the cases out with premix you might get lucky. If trashing the main bearings will cause you to park the bike I would take the time to split it and be sure it's all tidy in there. You'll need a service manual and a couple special tools to crack the cases.

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
I think i would feel more comfortable just splitting the cases and getting it done right the first time. I have the service manual from yahama, which was helpful at some points during the engine removal, but it wasnt quite in the step by step detail i would prefer. Is there a manual you could recommend? I see haynes has one for 2006 YZ125s, i think that would be fine for my 09. I'll call the dealership first thing in the morning to see if they have the neccesary tools in stock or whether i'll have to order them and just go without riding this weekend. Your a lifesaver Joe.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The factory yamaha service manual should be fine. Do you have that or the owners manual with some basic service procedures?

The hardest parts will be getting the clutch basket and flywheel nuts off. There are wedges you can buy to hole the gears while you loosen the nuts. These are priceless if you don't have an impact wench. There are tools made specifically for splitting cases though some people adapt automotive tools to get it done. Taking pictures can help alot when reassembling. You'll want to pick up some Yamabond liquid gasket while you're at the shop too. Just take your time and don't force anything, forcing things causes them to break. You'll want to freeze the crank and warm the cases when you go to put it back together. You should be OK to leave the piston on the connecting rod when you split it. If you remove the piston pin circlips they should be replaced.

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
I have the service manual with a illustrated breakdown of every single component on the bike. Freeze the crank? Like literally put it in the freezer? And warm the cases to how warm? like 200 degrees in the oven warm or... sitting on a vent with the furnace on full-blast warm...lol.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yup, crank in the freezer cases in the oven. 175 degrees should be enough heat. They should slip together with little effort. Again, don't force them. If they won't come together the bearings might not be going in straight which can ruin the cases or crankshaft.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
_JOE_ said:
Yup, crank in the freezer cases in the oven. 175 degrees should be enough heat. They should slip together with little effort. Again, don't force them. If they won't come together the bearings might not be going in straight which can ruin the cases or crankshaft.

Very good! :cool:
I could not believe how easy it was to get my cases back together using that method.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Word of warning, you had better wrap anything you put in the freezer, a piece of tin foil, anything. Or your better half, wife/mother, may kill you! The wife is used to seeing pipes and what not in the freezer. The new side by side really blows for pipes. I need a deep freezer, couch model. Most engine parts come with some substance on them. But, Joburble nailed it, you put clean steel in there, it will corrode. Vintage Bob

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I usually put the parts in a large ziploc bag, spray a bit of WD 40 in the bag and, if I can find some, throw a few silica bags in there too. But for the hour or two I keep them in the freezer, it may be overkill.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I'm glad to see my thread sunk and hydro-locked has been put to use as an example of where water and mud will go in a 2 stroke. there is no way I would have been able to dump it upside down and flush with premix and be on my happy way... well maybe would have had 2 minutes of glory before self distruction.. the thing that concerned me the most was the big end bearing I spent countless hours cleaning and blowing it out..so far so good the high carbon steel the main bearing is made from rusts just about instanly they were shot..

Good luck on your tear down and don't settle for the least little bump/bind in any bearings

JawdenWilsabi

Oct 29, 2009
well, i did it... kind of. I tore it down and cleaned it out. The guy i bought the bike from and i have become some what of friends, and he was kind enough to stop by my house for an hour and double check everything for cleanliness. I got the cases back together, and the bike rebuilt. It took all day yesterday... I got all the fluids in the bike, shes not leaking anything. I was about to crank her up when... I noticed a problem with the transmission.... I can shift through the gears, and shift in neutral but when i hold in the clutch, i am still getting alot of resistance from the engine. My best guess is that the clutch is not activating at all. When i pull on the clutch lever, there is tension all the way down the cable. I dont know what to do at this point, i was suppose to go riding this morning. :|

Top Bottom