MXC 250 suspension - HELP!

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
First off, I am no suspension guru, so any help I can get I will accept with gratitude. '01 MXC 250 is totally stock and I ride 100% woods. (single track, roots, some rocks, and some whoops) Bike feels harsh on roots and deflects a bit, in the whoops it is like riding a mule or mechanical bull, kicking, back end dancing side to side. I am about #215 with riding gear, and realize that in the future I will need springs to accomodate my weight, in the mean time, what can I do to the stock suspension adjusters to help tame this thing down? I rode a E440 cannondale, and it was like riding on a cloud... very smooth and plush, over rocks or whoops. Can I get close to that with this suspension? What should I use as a baseline for comp. and reb.? Also for woods should i stick with 95 - 100mm sag? some claim going up to 105mm is better in the woods?
Again thanks for any help, I appreciate it

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
Assuming you are under sprung -

I am a bit larger than you and know the down falls of too light of springs for my weight. First off, if you are at 95 - 100mm sag then you probably have way too much pre-load on the spring. More pre-load equals more stored energy in the spring which translates to bouncing off every little root in the woods. Back off the pre-load. Doing this will also change the weight bias of the bike getting it off of the forks which, because of your unmatched weight (relative to the springs ;) ), is also causing you to be way up in the fork travel. As far as the clickers go you can check the suspension websites like pro-action, factory connection, wer, and to the left in your screen MX-tech for tunning tips. My rag-tag-shade-tree approach to turning clickers is to go in an extreme direction and work back until it works for the loop I am on. You might want to try slowing up the re-bound on your shock though to tame the bull.

I am no expert but just my regergitaion of my recent experience. Get your suspension right, before your bike launches you into a tree.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Good advice, Sharp. You need the correct springs first. Your valving will never work correctly if you don't have the right springs in there.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…