Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I need some help from you experts out there. I can't decide between a 2002 400 SX or MXC. The magic button doesn't matter much to me...sure it would be nice but I'd rather save the ten pounds. I have a 2001 400 SX right now and it starts great all the time. Hot or cold!!

What it comes down to is the suspension. I need the perfect in between bike.:confused: I ride about 3 or 4 motocrosses a year and about 4 or five hare scrambles or enduro's a year. With that info alone I would choose a MXC but I have another problem. Here in ND there is only 4 trees so woods riding is not a option. I only have a couple gravel pits and a couple moto tracks to practice on week to week. My SX works fairly good. For moto it works awesome. It could be a little plusher for offroad but works ok. Rocks and roots give me some fits but other than that it's ok.

Can a 2002 MXC be stiffened up enough with the clickers to be moto'd? I weigh 170 w/o gear and have a pretty smooth riding style so I run my suspension more on the soft side. Or can a 2002 SX be softened up enough for offroad use? OR???

Any advice would be appreciated....oh, and by the way. I already asked my wife if I could have both. You already know the answer!!:(

z20ate

Jun 18, 2001
I have the MXC, advance is a bigger tank (but I like the ECX tank better), e-button and spark arrestor. I'm 165 lbs and the stock suspension is OK for me with the clickers turned in a little. If the prices are about the same go with what you know. e-button is nice when your tired and kill the motor on a hill or in a turn...

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
When did you guys get a 4th tree up there, Coach? :)

I don't have a recommendation for you but I hear your problem. I'd be very tempted to go with the new SX to get the 48mm forks and the new PDS shock. But what if it's too stiff for any offroad stuff?

The gear ratios are the same so that's a non-issue. The MXC tank is a fair amount wider than what you're used to and you may (probably) won't like that but you can swap it out, too.

Good luck with the decision.

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
SX or MXC??

Hi Coach,

IMO go with the SX....fuel range won't be a problem and IF the suspenders are too harsh....Alan Randt revalve time!!!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
SX is the only option if you plan on MXing. The SX is cheaper, lighter, faster (?), and has those 48mm forks!! If you were not MXing I would go EXC. The only drawbacks to date on my SX are small tank (2.0 gal), and very tall 1st gear. The suspension is awesome. At your weight MXing this bike it probably a perfect fit! You can soften this suspension, just by the clicker settings!

Finally: that MXC tank is just too ugly!

As Always, this is just MY opinion!

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I would swap out the MXC tank for the SX tank if I went that route. IMO the MXC tank makes the bike almost unrideable!

I found out today that KTM will offer an complete kit to install the magic button on a SX. My dealer didn't know a price yet but that would pretty much answer my question. Even though the bike starts awesome the button would be nice in some situations.

Hey Strick,

Is the new suspension that great? I haven't talked to anyone yet who has ridden an '02 SX. KTM said its valved and sprung firmer but is still very plush at the beginning of the stroke. My '01 isn't real plush but works OK. The 2.0 gallon tank isn't an issue since we have optional gas stops at all the enduro's I do, and I rarely get to far from my truck riding around here.

Thanks,
Coach

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Coach in ND,

Here in ND there is only 4 trees so woods riding is not a option.

When did you guys get the extra tree? ;) Cyclehutt has the 400sx for $6500...that's a tough pill to swallow. Awesome bike though.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Coach, yes it is THAT much better. I have ridden '00's, and now an '02 520 exc. The 48's are even better than my '99's 50mm conventionals which are dialed for me, and I love! I could not believe the suspension the first time I rode the bike.

I am not a fan of the 43mm's. I would have either went ahead and got the CRF 450 I had a deposit on, or waited to '03 before I would by a bike with the 43's.

I do not mean to slam anyone with these forks. I was just used to the ride on my 50's and never felt a 43 that was close the same ride.

Just wait though. Someone is going to get a new SX and post how the 48's suck, just watch:silly:

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
Thanks Strick,

Your the second person I'vee talked to with that told me the new suspension rocks.

I'm calling my dealer this afternoon to get me an SX!!!!!!!!!

Coach

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
My experience is different from Stricks as far as 50's vs 43's. But the 43's were new in '00 and they were apparently not that great. For woods riding, my 43's out of the box on my 01 400E were much better than my 50's ever were. Very plush and planted and much lighter than the 50's to boot. And I really liked the 50's, too. I'm still very impressed the 43's and I've gone up 2 steps to .46 springs.

For MX, I have no idea. I didn't/don't do much of that with either fork and I'm certainly no good at it.

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
Grunk,

I might be there but I won't be riding. I went down real hard a couple of weeks ago at a local motocross. I broke 2 ribs and pulled some muscles in my chest. I hope to be back on the bike before the end of the year but who knows. I tried riding my mtn bike last night but I couldn't even handle some of the bumps on the streets.

Coach

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Coach, I want to follow up on Jeb's commentary.

First, I think there is a major difference in riding conditions between Minn. and NV. We don't have any trees until you hit around 7500' feet in elevation. So we only get to ride trees in summer and early fall. We ride mainly sand and rocks.

Second, I think I know Jeb well enough to say that he is the type rider that would take the time and effort necessary to properly (through trial and error) to get his compression and rebound settings dialed correctly for him. This can make huge difference.

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I agree, I'm sure that Jeb has done his homework on his bike set-up. Most guys that complain about there suspension not working properly, don't have a clue about set-up.I'm not unhappy with my 43's on my '01, they work great on a moto track, which is what there set-up for.

For woods riding there isn't a better bike than a EXC or MXC but I don't think it will stand up to the motocross/ supercross track that I ride on every week. I would much rather have the valving on an SX softened up than have to stiffen up and MXC.If I'm going to mod the suspension, I might as well start with the newest stuff out there. Like I said, the button doesn't really come into effect.

I rather my bike be more moto oriented and the SX is the way to go for me. I'll never have the perfect bike that works great in both moto and off-road. So until I can afford to have both, I'll just have to make due with my new '02 400 SX.

Thanks,
Coach

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by Coach in ND

For woods riding there isn't a better bike than a EXC or MXC but I don't think it will stand up to the motocross/ supercross track that I ride on every week. I would much rather have the valving on an SX softened up than have to stiffen up and MXC.If I'm going to mod the suspension, I might as well start with the newest stuff out there

I agree. And since you owned a 400SX and were happy with it, it makes even more sense to go that way. Let us know what you think of the suspension compared to your old one.

Top Bottom