BigR

Dec 27, 2000
So I assume that Brown will ride the 125 class. I imagine that Hughes would have ridden the open class on the 450, but now that we have Windham and RC both riding 250's, which one will compete against the open bikes?

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
If the issue was forced (not allow 250's to compete in the Open Class).... LaRocco on the 450 would be my current US choice for the open class. Or Dowd on the KTM 520.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
how does the FIM define the open class during the gp's? is it just 251 or more cc? because the 520 and 450 are not open class bikes here. they are 250 class.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Unless they have changed the rules, 250's are eligible to be ridden in the open class for the MXdN. My bet is KW will be our open bike rider on an RM250 and RC will ride the 250 class since he is the 250 national champ.

Last year, Ryno won an open class moto on a CR250, and we won the championship. RC and KW beat all the big bore 4 strokes in the AMA nationals on their little tiny 2 strokes.

Recent MXdN and AMA results show that the 250's are not at a disadvantage to the open bikes on most tracks.

Last edited:

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
Recent MXdN and AMA results show that the 250's are not at a disadvantage to the open bikes on most tracks.

My point isn't the advantage or disadvantage.
Why bother having an open class if everyone is riding 250s?
To me open class isn't about lap times. Its about open class bikes handled by open class riders, or vice versa:confused:

Maybe RC should ride a 125 in the 250 class as he turned in faster lap times than anyone else on a 250?
Just a thought.

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
Hmmmm....is it only me that thought that "open class" meant "ride what ya brung?"

That's what I thought at a MX race in Washington that I did once. Nope - had to have a cc greater than 250. The goofy thing is that if you ride a 4 stroke like the 426 you could ride the 250 or open class but if you rode a 2 stroke 250 you could only ride the 250 class not the open. Goofy - go figure.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
The problem?

There's NO open class bikes competing in AMA, end of story.
There's ONE open rider--LaRocco.
END this mad heresy I say, end it! :scream:

Now excuse me while I go cry some more about this. ;)

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
Aren't all the big bore 4-strokes considered Open class bikes? That would give us:
Tim Ferry
John Dowd
Mike Larocco
for starts - in MX - then if you want to consider AMA off road events....

02 KX500!!:eek: They're still making those things!?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Don't forget Kyle Lewis among the others scoring points on big bores. Lewis was 9th overall AMA '250' this year on his YZ426.

I'd love to see the AMA restore the open class, but it ain't gonna happen. If Ferry had beaten KW in the nationals, I'd be happy to have him on the MXdN team. But KW has been on fire lately and deserves a spot, even if Suzuki doesn't make a big bore for him. Look for KW to do very well whether he is in the 250 or open class.

IMO, our revised team of RC, KW and Brown is BETTER than the original team. Let's hope we can beat the Belgians on their home turf. :)

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Windham should ride the 250's and RC the open class ... now that would be interesting .... I wonder if RC will give that 450 a bash ! :cool:

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
DirtbikeDave. Way better than the original team. The chances of the original team members finishing every moto was very slim. Look at the nationals this year. Windham and RC finished every moto, Brown finished all except Hangtown. Pastrana and Hughes took more soil samples than an EPA bureacrat.

Top Bottom