Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT
Well, almost, my second MX.
I know how you felt BSWIFT, this was my 3rd MX but at a new track for me. My 1st two races were at the same track and extremely hard pack. Today was at Burleson and it has awesome dirt only I had never ridden in the stuff before. My day starts as follows.

I was to meet up with some friends at the Czech Stop in West, TX.
(Famous for kolaches) promptly at 6:30 am. The alarm went off and I dragged myself out of bed frantically trying to get the last minute things together. Oh man is my stomach hurting. :eek:
OK, its 6:15 and I've got a 20-minute drive to meet up with everybody, I hope they wait. Made it to the Czech Stop at 6:35 and there's one rider waiting but not the ones I'm looking for. I wait about 10 minutes then start calling cell phones, no answer, great, they didn't turn it on. OK I'm going to try and catch them on the highway, it's about an hour drive north of where I am right now. Pull into to McDonalds at my exit off the interstate, I'm about 10 minutes from the track and I made the drive in record time, it's only 7:30. Just then my phone rings, "are you at the Czech Stop?" No, I'm almost to the track. "You forgot to set your clock back didn't you?' Ugh, yeah....:(
OK, I hit the track at 6:40 am.

Guess I'll go ahead and get signed up. Since the 1st two races I entered the over 40 class and netted me pretty good results, I figured I'd do the same in Burleson, wrong. My buddies finally show up and asked if I had already signed up and I eagerly and enthusiastically said yes. They said are you doing the 125 beginner and I said no, I did the over 40. All of my friends grinned and said the over 40 guys at this track are fast as hell. They know the track like the back of their hand and almost all are retired pro or retired expert riders. They then proceeded to tell me there were only 4 people signed up in the 125-beginner class and I was sure to get a trophy, too late for that.

Moto 1: the gate drops and I must have been asleep cause I was nothing like ready. I'm the last one out of the gate but I caught a couple of guys in the 1st corner but accidentally did a donut instead of a left hand 90. The soft deep watered sand just sucked all the traction, my back tire was spinning constantly. This track is all turns and I'm not used to riding in this stuff. Body position now plays a bigger part in just making in through the turns than ever before. Over every jump but one is a hard turn and I can't see or remember which way the track goes. At any rate I completed all 5 laps and wasn't really all that tired. Ended up coming in 10th out of 13 and got a much better feel for the track than I had before the race.

Moto 2: The gate drops and I was ready! Got a good start and made it to the 1st turn about 4th position, I can deal with that. Made the turn and on the gas hard, to hard, damn another donut only this time I'm off the track! I turn around and head down the straight and on the gas hard, dang it, I missed a shift not once, not twice but 4 times. I'm in last place! Now I'm more determined than ever, just gonna concentrate on what I'm doing yet have fun. Before I know it I'm passing people. I've never had that 125 wound so tight. My daughter said she couldn't even hear the thumpers for my bike. I'm on the 4th lap and have no idea where I'm at but I'm having trouble grabbing my front brake. I didn't get arm pump, at least it didn't feel like arm pump, just couldn't get the gas hand to yield a finger or two for the front brake lever, left hand was fine. I'm learning how to slam the bike into a corner and hold the gas WFO and deliver the power with the clutch by now. The next lap and the checkered flag is up. I ended up placing 7th for an 8th over all out of 13.

Summary: I'm glad I raced in the class I did cause the fast guys helped me a lot. Sure I could have gotten a trophy in the 125 beginner since there would have only been 5 riders in that class but I feel I've gained some valuable experience from it. I had a great time at Burelson this week, I'll probably go back but I'm thinking about Mosier Valley next Saturday night.
Till then, happy riding.

KDX Racer

May 11, 2001
You need to come try Badlands MX Park. Us over 38 guys (I'm 43) have a great time, and the track is great, not a bunch of sand. You'll love it. Next race there is Saturday, November 17th. Check out their web site at BadlandsMX.com.

Hope to see ya at the races.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by KDX Racer
You need to come try Badlands MX Park. Us over 38 guys (I'm 43) have a great time, and the track is great, not a bunch of sand. You'll love it. Next race there is Saturday, November 17th. Check out their web site at BadlandsMX.com.

Hope to see ya at the races.

I'm riding a 125, any of the other older riders on small bikes?

KDX Racer

May 11, 2001
I ride a KDX 200, but most are 250's with a few 426f's. With the type of track at Badlands, you can be very competitive on your 125. The 125 Beginner class Saturday night had 19 at the gate, mostly kids. A typical over 38 class is 8 - 10 at the gate.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
This all seems kind of funny now to read this stuff. I was searching for a thread for another guy and ran accross this one. A lot has happened since I started my mx racing phase of my life back on Sept 16, 2001. I started ridng in 2001, last time on a bike was 1976 I think, never raced before. Here it is 2006 and I'm the president of our Waco Eagles M/C club and have more trophies than I know what to do with. Still not the fastest guy on the track and still on a 125, still having a blast.
I posted in this thread because I did make it to Badlands last year and loved the track (night race). Pulled in late in the afternoon to a hotter than hell TX heat, unloaded the bike and fixed the rear flat. Bike ran like crap and I struggled through one practice lap. Never did figure out what was wrong till I got home and found my air screw about 1/8 turn out. Regardless I loved racing at Badlands and plan to do it again before too long, I'll just make sure I have no flats before I leave the house and also make sure the bike runs good.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
HajiWasAPunk said:
what class are you riding in now?
I pretty much stay in the over age classes unless it's an over 30 novice or something like that. I don't get to ride as much as I used to, something about being president of the motorcycle club seems to take away a lot of my practice time.

gardner154

May 9, 2006
I'm about to start my racing career saturday out here where I live, I've owned a bike for a year and a half and just messed around on tracks with my buddies. And now I'm actually going to be racing for a position. I can't say im NOT nervous lol, I've had thoughts running through my mind all week and been pumped up to get out there and race. Hopefully I can do some good and stick it to some guys on my 450.

Top Bottom