My awesome weekend.....(Long Post)

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
We finally started racing again this year. This weekend started out at the Arenacross in Amarillo, TX, Saturday with a 2 hour hare scramble in Guymon, OK on Sunday. I had only been on my bike once since my son broke his arm back the first week of November so I was a little nervous. I have never really liked Arenacross that well because I never felt comfortable jumping. The arenacross tracks that CycleCity builds are pretty tame because they run quads as well. The track had two whoop sections with one being a widely spaced, more rounded section and then a long peaked close set section. There was a section with three doubles in a row with the big catapult jump in the middle. I got out there in practice and felt pretty good but didn't have too much speed because the track seemed to have a lot of clay in it and it was still wet from track prep. Well the gate dropped for 11 of us in the first moto. I was 6th in the turn and stayed there for the rest of the race. There were three women there that were jumping the catapult but they didn't catch me until after I got the white flag. I had one lady right on my tail the whole race. Second moto I was really anxious to get a good jump on the girl especially since she lined up right next to me. I knew if I didn't get a good jump she could pull ahead of me. The gate dropped and I really twisted the throttle heading to the first turn. I look up and I'm the second one to the corner! Going down the first set of whoops I was passed by four girls but I was still going as fast as I can. The other girl was no where in sight. I still took 6th but I still can't believe how fast I was going, for me anyway.
Sunday rolls around and I was tired from the long day Saturday that I wasn't sure I wanted to race. The day was absolutley beautiful so I signed up anyway. I signed up in the over 30 class and actually finished second. I averaged 20 miles per hour during the race. The course covered a 4 mile lap that consisted of pasture and motocross track. I wonder how fast I had to go on the straights to be able to maintain a 20 mph average!!! Anyway I am really excited about this upcoming race season, well once I get over being sore that is!
SusanE

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
sounds like it really was an awesome weekend. you did well. i can't believe you had 11 girls in the ax. at the cycle city ax in tulsa, they only had five girls and one of them was on a pitbike. good job on the scrambles results too. :cool: bummer about your schedule though.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Congrats, Susan! You did good. Do you have a bike computer? I just put a Trail Tech on mine, it gives maximum speed as well as speedometer, odo, average speed and hours.
-SusanP.
CRF250x

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
The Ant said:
Congrats, Susan! You did good. Do you have a bike computer? I just put a Trail Tech on mine, it gives maximum speed as well as speedometer, odo, average speed and hours.
-SusanP.
CRF250x

Hmmm.. May have to look into one!

Jay, I am bummed about not making it to OSCS races. The tracks in OK are really my type of tracks, old school, true motocross, not supercross like up here. I can't wait until I get back to SSCP. I will REALLY fly there compared to last time. My husband is trying to build us a track out at his parents farm with some good sized doubles to get me comfortable with jumping. I am getting my speed up I just don't have most jumps down yet....

WoodsChick

Apr 16, 2002
Thanks for the race report, Susan. I really enjoyed reading it.
You're very brave to be doing arenacross...those tracks would scare the bejeezus outta me!

Congrats on your 2nd place finish. Way to go!

WoodsChick

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Way to go Susan!!! Jumps are tough for me too. We have a small track at our house with a couple tabletops, a single into a berm and a small double.

My son clears them all and wants us to build them bigger (after the loggers get done we will). My daughter does pretty good on most of them and they all have tried and tried to get me to jump.

I'm scared of AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :coocoo:

(I was expecting a Michelle or bbbom length post!!) :laugh:

Top Bottom