whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
My 17 year old daughter was coming home from the races by herself and she was late! 11 pm Saturday night she called and told me she had an accident. Been awhile since I had to deal with this,it does NOT get any easier! About 10 miles from home she fell asleep,veered off the road,ran over a small pole,woke up and cut the wheel. Then side swiped a large metal light pole,clipped a tall cast iron sewer cover and flipped 3 times landing on the wheels! Estimated at 70 miles an hour. Almost 100 yards from start to finish. I pulled up and the west bound lanes on U.S. 30 were closed! Seen what was left of the car and was like,uh oh! Well thankfully she takes after me and wears the stupid seatbelt!!! Some deep bruises and a lot of little cuts,man is she lucky! The same evening a carload of teens had a similar excursion in gary,ejected from the vehicle and 2 died,well may not if the bozos bothered to look for them,but I bet you they were not wearing the belt!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Glad to hear she is ok, I'm sure happy to hear she responsible with the seatbelt. This one hits to close to home for me, I have a cousin in a brain injury rehab centre after a single vehicle rollover May 1/2006 and a very good friend of mines daughter is currently in a coma in ICU from a similar situation 10 days ago.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Chili I hope your hospitals are better than our local ones. Issues like your friends I would be in Chicago!,I sure hope your friends pull through!

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
sorry to hear about that man, hope for a speedy recovery and thank god for her wearing a seatbelt. I lost 2 of my best friends because they weren't wearing theirs. Best of luck to your daughter!!!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Glad to hear your daughter walked away from that with minor injuries! Let it be a lesson to everyone that it is NOT SMART to drive without a seatbelt!

ShoujoKakumei

Sep 14, 2007
Amen to that. I'm an EMT and while I can't trot out the cliche that I've never cut a seatbelt off a dead person, I can say that definitely improves your chances of walking away from an accident, or at least staying in the vehicle. (And that's where you WANT to be in a crash - the passenger compartment is designed to protect the occupants - getting ejected from the vehicle is bad.)

I've fallen asleep driving myself, but ended up in a near-miss accident.. After that I started keeping a pillow in my backseat so I could pull over and take a nap if I was on a long drive and was too tired to keep going. It's worth losing some time over losing your life (or harming another person).

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
And one piece of the back window! Thanks a ton for everyone's concern! She is better,but going for an mri of her brain. She is still getting dizzy when walking. Wonder how long before she drives again,maybe until she moves out!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Having worked for years investigating traffic crashes I have seen the evidance that seatbelts save lives in the majority of crashes. Your persistance in teaching her the value of wearing the belt saved her life more then likely. Congrats on making that impression on her and I hope the MRI shows no lasting injuries.

This post is one of my biggest fears having a teenager in college with a car - when the phone rings after 9PM I usually cringe as I answer it praying it is just a telemarketer

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
wow. Really glad to hear she walked away from that relatively unscathed. Looks like it could have been much worse. My oldest is almost 18, and I too know the fear those late calls can bring. She's smarter, and safer than her old man though, so maybe she'll be okay. :)

Top Bottom