limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Here’s a “little” story about my first race.... Was I nervous? No, hahaha! I know it long but this is the shortest way I could describe the event.

First, I spend a day making sure my bike is in good enough condition to run the 12-mile course. I replace the the cracked clutch perch, bend back the brake lever, make sure the jetting is good and throw on a few stickers to hide all the scratches. Then I go out and get brand new riding gear (first full "get-up"), because I figure if I'm gonna lose I'm gonna look dang good doing it!

The next day, I spend planning a route for the 7-hour drive (find hotels\restaraunts ect.). After I get that all done I stay up all night checking the bike over (tightening bolts, adding coolant, changing oil & everything else I forgot to do the day before)

The third day finally comes, load the bike, tools, gear, gas, & the cooler. It's time to hit the road... Whew, finally get there. What a long day, I'm ready for some sleep (it's 11pm), but I've still got to check in, unload the valuables from the truck, and lock up the bike (all the while it's raining HARD!). I go to lie down and just could not sleep! I just kept thinking' about the start, the bike, and the whole deal... but then i began to think about the ride home and fell asleep real quick :)

Waahoo it's race day!! Jump up and into the shower, the alarm clock at the hotel was broke and we were an hour behind! Got dressed loaded the truck and headed out. 25 minutes later were finally there! Unload the bike get it started and once again give it a goin' over, everything’s good, let's go relax & watch the kids race. The time passes quickly, so now I'm headed to the line & ready for my first race!

I'm the last to go there are 7-10 classes starting before me so I wait patiently as the nervousness grows. Slowly but surely, 1 class then 2, 3 & 4 are off. My heart is pounding so hard I look over to see if anyone notices! Ought ohh here comes the A class back through the woods, it seems that someone had made a slight mistake when marking the course! The A & B riders had ended up on the highway, but no pros. They were gone! Somewhere out there on the 8000acre farm. An hour later we are ready to go, everyone’s back and our engines are warm.

2 classes to go and I will be off... My leg is starting to shake now and boy am I nervous (the guy next to me ask if that is my heart beating j/p) the flag goes and I kick it over... no go! Try it again and she starts right up, everything is calm. I'm just ridin'!

First hill, my BRAND NEW perch is shattered when a downed rider forces me to jump into a small ditch to the right. Man, that sucks! Hurry back to the truck to find another perch...shew, I'm in luck I brought the cracked one. Hurried and installed it and I'm back to the race! The rest of the race went on without a glitch (well, almost, but I won't talk about that.)!

This was one of the best weekends of my life! I think I got like 15th or 16th out of 38 or 39, but I didn’t care! I had too much fun to even remember to check the scores.(my dad did though)

I still get nervous when I go to the line, but nothing like I was on that day.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Oh man! I remember my first race.  I had arm pump by the time my row took off!  After I finally started riding I had a blast.  I'm with you, my leg was shaking more before the engine started than the rest of the race. :)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
That's so cool! Now you are among the ranks with those of us that try and describe the feeling of the 1st race ever. Aside from DW, I've only raced track stuff but I know the feeling is the same as you sit there waiting to go.

Did your tounge stick to the roof of your dry mouth within a few minutes of the start? I think it happens just after you remember that you forgot to breath and during the gasping for air you forget you have a nose. The rushing air over your tounge has a tendancy to make things dry doesn't it?

congrats on your 1st race. Plenty more I'm sure. :aj:

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
You'll be all good once you get through that first turn! You'll be sooo tired after you're done,you will ask the guy next to you to load your bike :) For some reason when your raceing, 1 mile seems like 3 and 3 like ten! It's crazy. You'll have a blast, nothing compares to crossing the finish line of your first race...... Well, maybe winning one, but I dunno YET.

Good luck ggjoa :thumb:

Did your tounge stick to the roof of your dry mouth within a few minutes of the start?

No, but thats prolly cause I wear a camelback. Since its such a long race you have to have fluids straped to you..... I think I drank half of it before the start though!

Why is it that when the 2 minute card comes out you realize that you need to hit the porta-pottie (AGAIN)?

Your tellin me, I should have ran off to the woods when almost everyone else did (we waited an 1hr + the riders meating). I seen someone park their bike during the race and "relieve himslef", but I managed to hold out.

mx547 - Yup, I'm hooked and if you need proof just look in my wallet (nothing there). ;)

bswift - Arm pump, shoot by the end of the race I couldn't even lift my right foot to hit the brake and almost ran through the tape/trees at the finish :laugh:

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
:thumb: Why is it that when the 2 minute card comes out you realize that you need to hit the porta-pottie (AGAIN)?

Sounds like a "Depends" moment!

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
The way I've always judged if my ride will be good or not, is whether I can use the restroom just before I gear up. Nothing worse than the erge of having to go #2 when you're on the course... :scream:

Top Bottom