my impending retirement from dirt biking

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i went to the doctor today for another check-up on my broken right leg. he was disturbed by my lack of progress, took some more x-rays and pretty much told me that i was screwed. he said the bones are completely healed but that i have "post trauma arthritis". he said it is unlikely that i would ever progress past the point where i'm at now (i'm barely walking). i have about 15 degrees range of motion in my ankle and still have swelling and pain. he said the swelling may be chronic and that the only way that i'll be able to end the pain is to have my ankle fused. i've been fitted for a brace that will fit in my shoe that will in effect, hold my ankle in place when the pain is unbearable. i told him that i can live with the pain, i just want my ankle to work. he said that it's not going to happen. i asked if there were any exercises or anything that i could do to help and he said no. i don't plan on giving up yet because i know that i'm making some progress, albeit little and slow. i've had many injuries, some pretty serious and none of them has defeated me yet. it just seems weird to think that i may never be able to run again. when i told my wife, she smiled and said, "at least you had fun while it lasted". i have to admit, i don't regret racing. i hope to do it again someday. i think i could ride flat-track. they don't use back brakes do they? :eek:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by mx547
i think i could ride flat-track. they don't use back brakes do they? :eek:

Don't give up hope, and if need be you can always use a thumb brake. :thumb:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Man Jay... sorry to hear about the slow/stopped healing process but glad to hear that you don't regret it. Hope things keep coming around and you prove the doctor wrong.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
it's ashame that neither of are big drinkers. We could sure try to drink the worries away. I know it wouldn't work though. I feel for you man. I don't have much motivation myself so I have a different perspective/problem, obviously not anything serious like yours.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Sorry to hear the bad news, Jay. Things may look bleak now, but in time you might find the doc was overly pessimistic. You can still have tons of fun on a dirt bike, even though you are less than 100% physically.

Due to a serious knee injury (head on collision) I permanently lost 85% of the strength in my left leg. That was 19 years ago. I can't run anymore, and I certainly don't stand up much, but riding is still a blast.

Best wishes for proving the Doctor wrong.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Jay,
I hate to hear about the slow progress, but it sounds like you have the positive attitude to work past this injury. Besides, I'm looking forward to lining up with you at the gate in Ascot for the over 40 class. Man, I can't believe I'm looking forward to being eligible for the over 40 class. :scream:

Have you thought about getting a second opinion about types of exercises to help the healing process and strength in you ankle?

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
Jay,
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

That said, I could write a Clancy-thick book about all of the people who have defied their doctors doom and gloom predictions with determination and rehabilitation. Keep you chin up and do your rehab.

You could always get a quad:)

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Get a different opinion, do what feels good for you and hopefully prove the doctor wrong!

I have seen a racer with one arm at Englishtown N.J. , I have read about a rider /racer with a prosthetic leg in Cali. and in Trenton N.J. there is a guy who is a parapelegic who parks his wheelchair into the sidecar of a modified bike so he can cruise on the street. Really freaks you out to see it for the first time :eek: Whats really bizarre looking is seeing his wife on the back of the bike and him in the sidecar!
Set reachable goals, work hard , and I believe that your dedication will take you farther than what that doctor is willing to think.Love the flat track idea.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I mangulated (yep, that hurts) myself (broke both legs, shattered left ankle, blew out both mcls and left acl) in a crash in KC. I took a year off from racing MX but found myself riding enduros. I did not walk for 4 months and slowly healed but did lotsa therapy and kept working on getting my heart rate up to work out pace every day to aid in healing and to stay in shape. I can still tell ya if it is going to rain but I barely limp and have raced /ridden every season since including racing MX for several years. Keep your chin up and work at it.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Jay, sorry to hear the news is not good but I kept thinking to myself that you should see another doctor. Hang in there!

DirtBikeDave, I would have NEVER guessed that about your leg, seeing you ride and all! I'm amazed.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Get a second, third, fourth, fifth, etc. opinion until you find a doctor that is as motivated and positive as you are.

Docs with opinions are only human, and we aren't perfect...

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Man, hang in there. Get a second and keep working on it! Great attitude, I hope to be able to say in a post someday " remember when the docs said mx547 couldn't ride again, he just got a top five at the vet nationals!"

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Tell him that Gomer won't accept that answer! Besides, you owe me some dune riding.

While talking with Lemming the other day he mentioned putting a rear brake lever on his left handlebar now that he doesn't need the clutch lever (autio clutch on a CRF450).

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Get a second opinion, and don't let ANYBODY stop you! I have about 40 degrees of motion in both my ankles, just the way I was born. I haven't let it slow me down. Can't run very far, and I hit netural a lot even with my shifter lowered, but I wouldn't let my crappy ankles stand in my way! Your as strong as you think you are, and can do anything you put your mind too. Good luck!

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Find a young and agressive sports orthopedic doc. You seem to have the right attitude, so keep that chin high. Good luck..
Lew

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Sorry Jay! Dont give up hope as there is always something that can be done. Atleast you looked comfortable on the 4 wheeler at DW. :eek:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Give it your best and you shall prevail! Hang in there, and we are here for ya too.;)

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
My friend, I suffered the same injury in '98.&nbsp; We each had some complications so I know there are some differences.&nbsp; Get that second opinion!&nbsp; Slow, steady, with goal is how I approached the healing.&nbsp; Stay positive!&nbsp; Hope you will still attend the HS Memorial Day Weekend at the Farm.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Get a second opinion and do physical therapy. When I hurt my first knee the ortho prescribed PT for 6 weeks, and when I hurt my other knee by the time I got in to see the ortho it was almost healed so I didn't do any physical therapy. I can tell a difference now. The second one is chronically sore and achy (is that even a word) but the first isn't nearly as bad.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I don't think that there is any way this thing is gonna beat you, my friend! Of course, you already know that!

Hang tough, Mr!

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Sorry to hear this, Jay. Like everyone said, keep on keeping on. Maybe electrostimulation or something will work. Maybe the vibrations of a screaming CR!

Top Bottom