my impending retirement from dirt biking

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by slo' mo
Will you still enter the race at DW just so I won't be the only one who DNFs again? ;)

i plan on winning it. ;)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Just re-reading this. Fusing....... That has to be the stupidest solution to the problem. I am shocked that Doctors would even recommend that. Why dont they suggest amputation? I mean then your ankle wouldn't hurt anymore, right? Fusing will leave the person with a rigid stump that you wil GUARANTEED never be able to use properly again. :silly:

MX547, I'm glad to see your mental state is better, don't worry, your physical state will improve also. It might take a little longer than you want, but it will get better. :thumb:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by Smit-Dog
Get a second, third, fourth, fifth, etc. opinion until you find a doctor that is as motivated and positive as you are.

Docs with opinions are only human, and we aren't perfect...

I Concur!

MudnRocks

Apr 15, 2003
Hi Jay, new to this site and yes I wanted to offer my .02 worth. Sorry to hear of your condition, it's awesome your not ready to take your Dr's advice. Being a sometimes spodely rider I do have a long list of injuries, all of them relatively minor. I agree with everyone on: second opinion and finding a "pro" doctor or someone who specializes in sports medicine, take anti inflamitories and exercise your leg etc. I think there is really something to be said for hot water, pressure treatment. I'm not sure what is out there for us two legged creatures, but race horses have special boots that are used for pulling the swelling out of there legs. It works pretty well for them. Pool therapy would be good. I like massage also, it helps with circulation, muscle tightness and should help to pull the swelling out. As my husband says (when I'm trying to mechanic, or layed up) don't let it beat you!

Take care and Happy Trails.

Kimberly

minicharge

Apr 25, 2003
you guys are inspiring and humbling at the same time.

don't give up, give your body the time it asks for to heal even if it's years.
I'm coming into dirt riding with a fused lumbar, a dead left foot with minor paralysis of the same leg and a plastic ankle splint. you won't see me clearing any jumps but nothing's going to stop me from riding the trails and taking in the sites of this beautiful country.

do not fuse the ankle just yet.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by minicharge
do not fuse the ankle just yet.
You go and ride minicharge. That's what motocross/motorcycling is all about, enjoying riding.

As for fusing anything, try stiffining up your ankle and then try "walking" a little. Then pretend that you cannot go back and undo what has been done. Your foot will never bend again, you will never walk correctly, you can never heal and get better from this situation........ I just think fusing any joint is pure butchery.

Other than my foot, when I was about twenty, I had a guy on a quad crash into me:silly: and it ended up tearing one of the ligaments that held my thumb on. I was actually able to bend my thumb around and have it point back at my chest while all my other fingers pointed away from me..... Pretty scary. Anyway, the Doc said, "we can operate and fuse your thumb so it doesn't move like that anymore" :silly: I said, "Are you nuts! What will I have then??? A CLAW? :silly: That is totally unacceptable, you need to figure something else out". He then said that they could use a tendon and replace the ligament with it and tie it in.. Anyway it worked, and worked well. Now THIRTEEN years later, it is still perfect.

My point is, Make the Doctors THINK a little and do something other than permenantly deform you.

Hang in there and you will heal. :thumb:

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
Jay, I finally found this thread. (I need to check out more of the DRN web site....there are so many different boards to post threads...)

Like I told you a week ago, your attitude is on track to prove that quack-doc wrong....

Top Bottom