My thoughts are with an unknown family

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I was on my way to work yesterday and was stopped up in traffic. There was a horrible car accident. An 18-wheeler rear ended a small 4 dr car on the main Interstate through Austin. As I went by the wreck I thought to myself 'Oh man, I sure hope there wasn't anyone in the backseat of that car. Oh, that's bad. There's nothing left of the car from the front pair of doors back.' I had that sick feeling in my stomach after seeing that. I came home this morning and immediately read the paper. Unfortunately there was an infant in the back who was killed. Granted I don't know these people but I truly feel for them. I guess this one got my attention since I saw the condition of the vehicles first hand AND because a child was taken for no good reason. I truly feel for the families' loss.

Here's the article...
Infant killed in wreck on I-35
By Dick Stanley

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, June 14, 2003

A infant was killed Saturday on Interstate 35 in Austin when a sedan the child was riding in was rearended by an 18-wheeler.

Northbound traffic was slowed for several hours while police investigated the collision, which occurred about 3 p.m. in the 12,000 block of the interstate, just north of Braker Lane.

No charges had been filed against the semi driver, said Austin police spokesman Adam Chavitz.

He said the 18-wheeler was traveling northbound in the far left lane behind the Honda sedan. The truck apparently ran into the sedan and pushed it more than 100 feet along the highway before both vehicles came to a stop, Chavitz said.

Two adults in the Honda were taken to Brackenridge Hospital with injuries, and the infant was pronounced dead at the scene. Names of the adults and the child were not immediately available.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That sucks :( I feel the same way when ever I see an accident or even an ambulance racing down the road with lights and siren blaring. It's a shame to see anyone taken so young. My heart goes out to the family.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Very sad.
I am on I-35 everyday only I'm a little north of you. I'm where the bus went off the road a few months ago and killed a bunch of people. I gotta say that I-35 is getting to be a real bad stretch of road up this way. You'll be driving along, top a small crest in the road and all of a sudden cars are stopped. Friday I was driving in from Killeen and just as I got to Eddy, where the bus had crashed, all the cars slowed to about 40mph. There was nothing there, just people slowing down for no reason. When a vehicle is cruising 70mph, tops a hill and traffic has slowed to half that speed, there isn't enough time or room to slow to avoid hitting someone yet people will get right up on the car in front of them. It really pisses me off to see people driving so close to cars in front of them, where's the common sense? I feel sorry for the family that lost thier child but there's gonna be a lot more before it's all over with unless people use better judgement.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert
I gotta say that I-35 is getting to be a real bad stretch of road up this way.

Unfortunately it's pretty bad from Dallas all the way down. It's a VERY dangerous road and I hate that I have to drive it to and from work everyday.

but there's gonna be a lot more before it's all over with unless people use better judgement.

That's what scares me the most about 35. Almost every other day I think to myself on my way into work that I hope it's not my time.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Green Horn
That's what scares me the most about 35. Almost every other day I think to myself on my way into work that I hope it's not my time.
Just remember that in a few months Mr. 2F2F ;)

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Patman

Just remember that in a few months Mr. 2F2F ;)

Sure I prefer to go fast in the left lane, but there are times when it just doesn't happen. Weaving in and out of lanes in heavy traffic isn't my bag anymore and leaving for work with plenty of extra time keeps the stress down and I can just take my time.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
That's so awful...I've seen one too many car accidents in my lifetime, so I know exactly what you mean by "the sick feeling" in your stomach. I live on a pretty dangerous stretch of Route 1 in RI...It's a 55 MPH zone with traffic lights...does that make sense? Not to me it doesn't ...but sure enough people are doing 70-80 MPH down this road every day.

Oh I can't even talk about it anymore...my heart goes out to that poor, unfortunate family.

Top Bottom