MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Looks like another chance for a city to grab some more fees, taxes etc. Hopefully they can work something out that will be fair and not bankrupt the track or close it down.

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
I love the statement that the city "recently" learned of the track when a light pole fell at the facility.

My first visit to Mosier was in 1978. All this time it was a super secret testing/racing facility and we never knew it...... :think:

I would hope that there is some kind of common since grandfather clause here. Wait, didn't I just read the obituary for common sense?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'd venture a guess your spot on Thump.

CC_RIDER

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 15, 2001
Actually, building has been going on with-in a few hundred yards of the facility for almost a year. I mentioned in a thread about six months ago that it was only a matter of time before Mosier would get notice.

Another popular riding area, Marshall Creek is in jeopardy also. A lot of new construction going on around it. Developers build homes and apartments knowing the track or riding areas are there, and once the residents get into their new homes they start complaining about noise and traffic. Marshall Creek is operated by the Corp of Engineers. I'm not sure how good or bad that is for our cause.

I can tell you, Jerry Surber of Mosier Valley is in for some stiff fees or fines, or both, and we will be lucky if he is able to keep his track open. :|

Maybe a petition to the city council would help.

Ms. Badlands

Aug 10, 2000
Okay, as an Arlington raised gal and track owner/promoter's wife, here are my two cents:

The city has always known about the track, (they get property and sales tax revenue from it, dont they?), what they were probably not aware of were the MAJOR improvements to the facility. It is obvious since they hadn't updated the tax bills. ( Do you contact the city when your tax appraisal comes back lower than your home is worth and tell them you owe more taxes? I think not) Yes, Mosier Valley has been around for 30 years, my hubby raced it as a kid and he considers it a "legend" among tracks. It is a great track and good for the Motocross sport in DFW.

But what we all have to remember is that anytime you build anything, ie.e homes, business, etc, you HAVE to get it permitted/inspected through the proper authorities. This is not the City of Arlington's fault. Yes, they are probably ignorant for not checking on it when the lights went up.

Think of it this way:
There is a softball facility right behind it and I bet they had to get proper permits when they added their lights/concession etc. Do you think Six Flags can add those new rides without getting permits? Would you want them to open a ride without an inspection? Any restaurant in Tarrant County must get a CO and health permit. Would you want to eat at a restaurant that doesn't have a proper permit? I bet KFC/Pizza Hut would love to cut out the permit process when they open their stores....

When we added our lights and concession, we went through TONS of headaches getting our health permit, and this was at a county level. We had to add septic, bathrooms and running water. It was very costly, but I can say we are legal and inspected at least twice a year.

I hope that Mr. Surbur can get this worked out with the city. The Annual GNC is important to Texas Motocross racing and MV provides a good outlet for our kids (and big kids too ;) ). Just don't start bashing the City of Arlington, they are just doing their job to keep businesses operating in a safe manner.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
sounds like the same thing going on in bridgeport. a guy built a track right off 380 as you go into town. nobody complained until the bikes and dirt started flying. its kinda in an industrial part. from what i heard he got permits and stuff but now the citizens are griping. anybody know whats going on?

15 yrs ago or so ............there was a little drag strip called green valley raceway in north ft. worth. been there for eons. well they built and built and finally built right up to it. then the bitching started. but the bitching correlated to the value of the land for residential development. i hear he sold and made a nice profit and built or bought a track in amarillo.

its kind of like idiot people who buy recently built houses next to airports which were built 20 ys ago in the country and now they want airplanes to quit flying over their house.

unfortunately, the "best use" of land philosophy is alive and well. with enough money and effort "they" can take your land at any time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom