MisShift

May 11, 2001
Hey everyone.....my first thread. Well, I'll get to the point... I just got a 98' KDX 220r and I love it. I ride wood pretty much all the time. I had a problem stalling because of slow speeds in some sections...and because I'm new :). So I installed a flywheel weight, which is awesome. Made a world of difference. My question is.....finally.....what other mods are commonplace for my bike and do I really need them?....i.e. pro tapers, pipe, re-jetting, K&N air filter and such. Thanks.

MisShift

May 11, 2001
re: mods

Sounds like everything Ive heard......good stuff. A few Q'ns...how much does carb boring cost and does it make the bike act like a KX? And what do I gain/lose by adding a 50 tooth sprocket? I read on JustKDX to put on a smaller countershaft sprocket. If I bore my carb to 35-36 will I need to put on a pipe to allow for the increase in air intake? Thanks....

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
The bike will REV higher with the carb bored. If your going to bore the carb then send it to RB designs and have the divider installed also.

Adding a 50 tooth rear is almost the same as a 12t CS and makes the bike easier to ride on the trails expecially if you install a larger 110/100 tire. If you choose the 12t then you can use your stock chain but the 50t will need a 110 link chain. You may lose a little top end but it's still plenty fast.

And finally YES, installing an FMF KG-30 REV pipe is like adding a turbo.

joe woj

Oct 29, 1999
:cool: i think everybody said jetting pipe air box, 12 tooth sproket ect.. but the first mod i like to make is a good set of bark busters, sounds like your new to riding and sooner or later your gonna dump your bike, if you have the bark busters on the only thing that will be hurt is your ego, it sure beats breaking levers, perches and that front master cly"thats a expensive hit" most guys that ride woods here have them some of us even like the plastic brush gaurds that bolt to them, just my $0.2 for what its worth.

motochick

Mar 10, 2001
My suggestions are to get the bike to handle good then go for the power mods. Stiffer front springs, revalving, stabilizer, SRC fork brace, maybe play with the ergos a little, ie taller bars. I also like my RB designs carb mod, FMF pipe, RAD valve, and the torque ring.

Good luck,
Brenda

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
The mods I would do:

-BarkBusters
-Pipe
-Higher rise bar ($65.00)
-Stiffer front springs ($50.00)
-Silencer
-Handle Bar Top clamp ($35.00)

This is not including the airbox mod, and putting on tires that are appropriate for your riding conditions. The KDX website will walk you through all the engine Mods.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom