Need advice and some moral(e) support

KeltWolf

~SPONSOR~
Oct 23, 2002
Hi all,

It has been a while since my last post - been busy with the TSCEC enduro scoring position I agreed to tkae (And I am having fun, learning a lot and have met LOTS of great people who ride)

But, now I have a new kink in my plans......just found out we are going to have a baby this October. :)

I am thrilled about the baby. I have wanted to have a baby....but, I am just getting comfortable on my bike. :eek:

So, here's my quandary - can I still ride? My husband is being very careful with me and doesn't even want me to ride my horses. He would not even ride me on HIS bike this weekend. And if I can't..............what do I do for 9 months? And will I forget how to ride? And with a new baby, will I ever get to ride?

Please help ladies, I am so excited about the baby and really torn about riding.

THanks for the help,

Kim

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Congratulations on the new arrival! My hubby and I have been trying to get pregnant for almost 2 years now, to no avail. I can understand your joy. :)

We have talked about this very issue on many occasions, especially before buying my new bike. We kind of figured that I could still ride, just take it easy. No pushing myself. My doc pretty much agreed with me.

If I have to go the IVF route, then no riding. As it looks we will have to have some sort of treatment to get pregant, just not sure which one. :(

Good luck!!!!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
I know absolutely nothing about pregnancy, but I would think this is a question for you and your doctor to decide! Have you posed this question to your doctor?

KeltWolf

~SPONSOR~
Oct 23, 2002
Thanks ForeverOrange. and you too CJ. THe doctor said they do not recommend it, but they do not forbid it. Racing is out of the question. (I can understand that one) but some gentle riding in open terrain for a little while? It seems like it should be fine.

I know other women horseback riders who ride through month 7. Now, I understand we ride faster, but I know the enduros are going to have to wait until next year. I just don't want to forget everything I have learned......

By the way 4ever, don't lose hope! I was all scheduled for my first appointment for fertility tests when I mentioned to my husband that I was not feeling so hot in the tummy.....and low and behold a week later it was confirmed. It took us over 18 months..... :eek: (think we just kept getting our timing wrong) I will keep you in my thoughts!

Last edited:

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Keltwolf, as long as the doc says okay, do whatever you feel comfortable doing. I wasn't into riding when I was prego but I did work out including lifting weights. I took it easy towards about the 6th month but I could still toss a barricade out of the oil truck's way up until about month 7 (poor oil truck driver was scared to death I was going to go into labor on the job).

Unless you are one of the very unfortunate ladies that has pregnancy problems, don't let anyone convince you that pregnancy is a handicap, unless of course it's 2 am and you just HAVE to have ice cream and there isn't any in the freezer. Then you are most definitely not capable of driving to the store in your condition. ;)

I used the Denise Austin Pregnancy workout video way back when (mine are now 8 & 10) :scream: and it was pretty good. It also helped to not feel so HUGE (says the petite & dainty flower) when you see all the other aerobics models in the video bopping around in their prego bods in tights!

Just remember, the better physical condition you are in at the beginning and throughout the pregnancy, the easier the labor usually is AND the easier it is to return to your pre prego shape.

Congratulations! :thumb: and mucho good luck! Good luck to you too 4everOrange hope all goes well with your treatment if you need it.

Oh, one thing though, remember that the further along you get, your body starts prepping to deliver the little bundle 'o joy. Meaning, your joints and muscles tend to loosen a bit (if I remember my doc's information correctly) which makes it easier to get hurt from a fall. I remember my hip starting to pop more easily when I was at about 8 mo's or so.

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Aaaack, pregnancy, don't say it!!!

(Sharla runs and hides)

Children frighten me.  Except Bbbom's, they are cool.

KeltWolf

~SPONSOR~
Oct 23, 2002
bbomand everyone else

I was hoping to get a response like this (since you all are VERY positive about all life's experiences) that sounds like what I was hoping to hear.

My first born (son) Marcos is 7. When I was pregnant with him, I was into running and lifting and I continued all of that up until month 7. His dad died in a helicopter accident in month 3 and people treated me like I was gonna go nutso at any minute (I may have and just missed it due to exhaustion)

So, this time around, I want to continue to work out but now I ride and I wanted a good idea from y'all BEFORE I go and talk to the doctor. (Last time, they didn't want me to run, but I told them that was not an option) I think that if you are prepared with facts, they usually listen to you (unless you want to jump out of a plane or something like that)

We are excited and thanks for the congrats! Although, since I know what to expect, I am a little more worried than last time.

David is so naive and cute. He thought that if I delivered Tuesday (we have to have a c-section due to some physical kinks in my system) we could go to the Cottonboll Enduro that Saturday and I would be able to score while he rode. :eek: I just laughed and walked away.

Anyway, keep the thoughts abut physical activity coming, it helps build my case. I am doing Yoga now (helps the stress) and riding my mountain bike too. ;)

BTW, Firecracker, kids aren't so hard....you just lose your mind and none of it matters.

See ya!

KW

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by KeltWolf

BTW, Firecracker, kids aren't so hard....you just lose your mind and none of it matters.

You're assuming I ever had one to lose, or that it's not lost already.  :confused:

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Relax, Nothing is better for preparing you to have children than having children. ;) just go for it and your body will tell you when you've had enough.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
If memory serves me correctly there is a period (of time) in the beginning of the 1st trimester that you should be more careful. Not sure why but I recall hearing something to that affect when Tigger was a little more than an itch.

Sharla, why would you worry? You"re not even married. ;)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert

Sharla, why would you worry? You're not even married. ;)

That's very true . . . but just the thought makes me shudder.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22

That's very true . . . but just the thought makes me shudder.
When you're ready for em they aint so bad.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000

When you're ready for em they aint so bad.

Don't get me wrong, I like other peoples' kids, but I don't see myself ever having any.  I'm not responsible, patient or kind enough to have my own.  I will just borrow my friends' children and give them back when the make a mess or get bratty or something.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22

I'm not responsible, patient or kind enough to have my own. 
Somehow, after meeting you, I have a hard time believing any of that to be true.

btw, do you need my tent again this year?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well thank you!  But you must not have spent enough time around me . . . I am not well equipped for mother hood.  I get the "Children Are Wonderful" speech from my mom occasionally but I don't see it.  I haven't found Mr. Right (ha) either so that is also a factor. 

As for the tent, I'm not sure, since I do not now where I will be living in October or how I will be arriving this year.  My plans are NOT to be in Washington anymore, but that's all I know right now.

SarahL99

Dec 18, 2001
Ohh this sounds sooooo familar!!!!

Back in 98, my boyfreind (now husband) helped me buy my first dirtbike. A year went by and I though I needed a bigger dirtbike. We both bought new bikes - I got a 99YZ 125. Stared having fun then 2 months later I found out i was pregnant! Well, I didnt let that stop me from riding the track my first trimester then I down graded to trails and then to fireroads at 5 months along. I gave it up after 6. I had a great pregnancy but didnt start riding again untill Cassia was 3months old. I breast feed for a year and 3 months but found it to kind of get in the way of getting back into dirtbiking. I bet none of you have seen too many lactating dirtbikers at the MX tracks! I would leak through my jerseys occasionally. I also found the changed ergonomics of my body made riding the bike a little differant - maybe that was just from being out of shape. Jason and I didnt ride to much longer due to other reasons - like him getting hurt every 3 months while starting up a construction business.

So it all comes down to how comfortable you feel. It seems like pregnant ladies have increadable instincts so I think only YOU know what YOU are comfortable with and cabable of.

Congradulations! Its sooo worth it! Your new little one will seriously alter your life but for the better! Just give yourself time to get back into it and start looking for babysitters! Mine will be riding a dirtbike in about a year, she's finally riding a real bike with training wheels.

Karna&Justin

~SPONSOR~
Sep 27, 2001
Ok, I have to say something here...

I am currently debating when I should have child #2. Our son, Philip, will be turning 2 on March 22 and I always wanted my kids close together. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the perfect month to plan to get pregnant. I am planning things around riding and enduros and there never seems to be a "convenient" time.

I think you would be safe to ride as long as you feel good and take it safe. Once you start to show, I would recommend to put things on hold, though. I know that the fetus is well insulated and protected in the womb but personally If I fell hard and caused something to happen, I would never be able to live with myself. During my first pregnancy, I was VERY sick and ALWAYS tired during the first trimester with Philip, so riding was the last thing on my list of things to do. I was lucky if I could get to work on time and function well enough for the first few months. I wansn't able to eat anything except for mashed potatoes, bean burritos and McDonald's french fries. Definately not enough for a long dirtbiking session.

Once I get pregnant again, I think I might try and ride for the first few months but definately NOT take any of the knarlier trails. I will be one of those pit wives for a while and resume riding right after delivery. I remember getting on the bike 3 weeks post delivery after Philip. It was so exhilirating! I remember coming back to camp to eat, gas up and pump my breast milk...quite an amusing site I am sure!

Good Luck! You will know what is right for you!

Karna

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Karna&Justin
I am planning things around riding and enduros and there never seems to be a "convenient" time

Yanno, Karna.....if me staying in the tent trailer with you and Justin at all the enbduros is causing a problem all you have to do is say something...;)

Keltwolf, congratulations!  I bet things will just run their course and you'll figure out what's right with your riding and pregnancy.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Fe_princess

Yeah, if there as cute as your little tiger :thumb:
Thank You!

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001

Thank You!

She was so brave singing the National Anthem.
She's going to be a great rider too.
I remember her riding up beside me more than once just to hang out with the girls.
Are you two planning to go to DW'03??

Top Bottom