need advice...cant figure my bike out

jtm994

Dec 4, 2006
ok, this allllll started when i went to fire my bike (05 ktm 250sx 2t) up after it was sitting for about 3 or 4 weeks. I couldnt get the bike to fire up for anything. I replaced the plug and it finally fired up after 15-20 kicks with the new plug in(its never that hard to fire up). I let it warm up and then way gonna take it down the street. Well when i went to give it some gas it wouldnt clear out for anything...try after try after try. It almost fells like it is running really rich. I pulled the carb and cleaned the jets inspected the need float, checked the air filter, and check the float level...they all checked out good. I put the carb back on and it still did the same thing. I pulled the reeds...they checked out good. The plug is new.I highly dought that it is the jetting but i might be wrong. From june-oct the temp was between 100-75 degrees (when i did most of my riding). The night it started acting up it was about 40 degrees outside. but the thing is right when it started up i tried to tweek the jetting and it seemed nothing was working so i went back to the org settings. i need as much advice as i can get.

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
...since it was running fine b 4 u sait it up, it has to be somthing "logical"/simple, BUT: once I fixed a neighbor's bike that a dirt-dauber had crawled up into the pipe and built a mud nest--no joke! It had the exact same symptoms, and I know that u all have that same red iron-ore clay as we do, so it is remotely probable...

BLACKeR

Oct 30, 2007
if my memory serves correct, every 20 degree change in temperature is 1 jet size, 100-75 down to 40 is a pretty significant change. i would go up a couple on the jets if your going to be riding it a lot at this temp. it does have similar symptoms of a plugged pipe too.

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
mike E72 said:
im new at this but you may want to check the gap on the plug it may have been dropped while shipping
the plugs come with cardboard rings over the threads and electrodes to prevent such things, also, they are laid down on their side as they sit in the box, not vertical

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
stumanarama said:
the plugs come with cardboard rings over the threads and electrodes to prevent such things, also, they are laid down on their side as they sit in the box, not vertical
Probably not the problem, but you just check anyways. What kind of carb is on that beast? Could your engine be full of fuel?

defo26

Apr 23, 2007
check your valves. I had my bike running fine than I let it sit in my garage for a week and I took it to ride but the valves tightened up and it was real hard to start.

Todthebod

Nov 3, 2007
I had the dirt dobber thing happen to my kids atv. Had to take the exhaust out and blow it out with an air hose. You could sorta hear the exhaust had a muffled (more than usual haha) sound when it was trying to fire.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Todthebod said:
I had the dirt dobber thing happen to my kids atv. Had to take the exhaust out and blow it out with an air hose. You could sorta hear the exhaust had a muffled (more than usual haha) sound when it was trying to fire.
Do you mean like a wasp nest in your exhaust? I hate mud daubers!

Top Bottom