need advise

evelknewins

Feb 13, 2003
Can anyone tell me how to test my cdi on my kdx in laymans terms? Its begun to run badly(wont open up and clean out) nothings been changed and I found one of the wires had worn thru on the frame so I thought I would start there.
Thanks
Kevin :ugg:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The easiest way would be to find a buddy with a compatible bike and try his black box. If not I'm not sure on the testing procedure.

bradf

Jan 26, 2004
Without a spare good CDI as Chili said there is no way to check it but you can check everything else in the ignition electronics. Find out what wire wore through because this could have done damage.

If you have a wiring schematic this is what you can do:

Check all connections and wires first.

Disconnect spark plug

use an AC digital volt meter

connect to ignition coil + and body ground - , kick engine with kickstarter and look for about 100 VAC pulse , digital meter will momentarily read about 100.

disconnect the CDI from connectors

connect meter to exciter coil + lead and body ground - , crank engine look for 100 VAC.

connect meter to ignition pulse generator two wires. crank engine look for minimum of .7 VAC

If all these check good, then there is a "possibility" the CDI could still be faulty. This doesn't eliminate a fuel/ air problem or a very weak spark or low compression or restricted exhaust or...

Last edited:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Chili said:
The easiest way would be to find a buddy with a compatible bike and try his black box.

I like it :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…