Need front light to be more powerfull

91kdxrider

Aug 19, 2002
I'm looking to change my front light on my 91 kdx 200, it just doesn't light enough (30W), i busted it this weekend so here's my chance to do it. I was wondering if I can put a stornger bulb (50-60W or stronger if possible) does this implicate changing anything in the electrical circuit of the bike(stator, voltage reg.,igniter etc.) or can I just purchase the light and fit it in?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

BTW great site, found lots of helpfull tips. :thumb:

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
It depends upon the wattage output of your lighting coil. By just putting in a higher wattage bulb, you could actually make it dimmer if it requires more wattage than your lighting coil puts out.

91kdxrider

Aug 19, 2002
I guess I would have to find out the wattage output of the coil, I don't have a service manual of the bike and I checked out kawasaki's site but didn't find the info. Would anyone know what the wattage output is on the bike (91 kdx 200)?
Thanks for your reply yz250

know_fear

May 19, 2000
The total alternator output is only about 40 watts. You'll need to rewind the stator to acheive a higher output. As 2001yz250 said, installing a larger wattage bulb won't do the trick.

91kdxrider

Aug 19, 2002
Thanks Know_fear, maybe I'll sound stupid :confused: but what do I do to rewind the stator, or do I just purchase a new stator with higher output.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
maybe you should try a 35w bulb.I have one and I did 3 night ride with no prolems.

nb: I live in Charlesbourg let me know if you live near me!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
kdxquebec -

Where did you buy your 35w bulb? I'm looking for an inexpensive replacement for a 2002 KDX 220.

Thanks...

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
contact http://www.bajadesigns.com - will give you good info about having the stator rewound - for a full dual sport conversion this has to be done.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
I bought my bulb at my local kawi dealer for 1.95$ each.This is the cheaper replacement bulb .I think that oem part is 24 $.(can.) :scream: 35w/36w 12v is written on the bulb. there are 2 wire in the bulb.

91kdxrider

Aug 19, 2002
Thanks guys for the replies.

BunduBasher, I checked out Bajadesigns web site, give me good info on stator rewound :thumb: Althought I'm not looking for a full dual sport conversion, I just like to ride at night in the woods but my light wasn't giving proper lighting.

So I just went to a Kawasaki dealer on my lunch break and they suggested a Halogen light bulb 30 W for 9$. I bought it. I'll try it and see if it works better. I'll probably need to change the light casing (it's in plastic) don't know if it will get to HOT. Let you guys know...

kdxquebec, I had a 30W bulb and found that the light was very faded, maybe my problem it's the bulb, maybe my voltage reg. ??? I'll try the H bulb I bought and see if it makes a difference. I'm from MTL, but I ride in St-Émélie-De-L'Énergie, St-Jean-De-Matha, St-Michel-Des-Saints area... I don't know where Charlesbourg is???

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Just a guess: If you need to ask about rewinding a stator, I'd hesitate recommending you do it.

A 70W stator for a newer KDX will run you around $75. Involves taking off the flywheel. You need a puller for that. If you don't have air tools, you'll need a flywheel holder. Check CDaves site for a homemade one of those (a board with a couple of bolts in it).

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

Torque the nut holding the flywheel right!! Easy to shear the woodruff key if you don't. That'll stop you cold!!

Ignitor/ voltage regulator isn't affected with a stator or bulb change.

Another side note related just as well to this thread as the rest of the above ;)...note the electrical system in the kdx is AC..not DC. If you nose around with a meter set to DC, you'll be wondering what's going on!!

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
i was suppose to go on august 28 at the gregoire sport trail but i had problems with my car... :ugg: Charlesbourg is 5 mins of quebec city...Btw let me know how the halogen bulb works.Thank you

91kdxrider

Aug 19, 2002
kdxquebec, I was in Beauport 2 weeks ago for the weekend, we rode from there to Mont Saint-Anne, then we went in the Thetford Mines area, really cool place to ride, the Asbestos Mines are incredible, a place to see... Let you know about the halogen light.

canyncarvr, I'll try my Hbulb and if it's not good enough I'll look into having my stator rewound for 70W.
thanks

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
If you do deside to rewind yourself, it's not hard, just very time consuming. It took me 8 hours to wind it plus all the other time (unwinding, disassembling, etc.) I now run a 55 watt bulb upfront and a 10 watt out back with no problems. I used 22.5 gauge wire and got around 300 turns (If I remember correctly stock was 24 gauge and around 420 turns).

When I got it all together and tried it out, the regulator blew, because of the increase in power to an 8 year old regulator (electronics don't last forever). So I got an after market one for $20 cdn (Remember to attach a heat a sink to any of the after market regulators).

A lower wattage bulb is better for slow, low rpm riding like tight trails. Since the stator doesn't put out the 70 watts right off idle. At quarter throttle my head light is at its peak, which doesn't help me if i'm going slower.

When winding, remember the number of turns determines the voltage where the guage of the wire determines the amperage, (thicker wire; less turns; lower voltage=higher throttle). There's a happy medium which will get you an optimum wattage.

Total cost: $20 (for the regulator, the wire was free)
Good Luck, keep us posted with the results!
Good Luck, and keep us posted!

91kdxrider

Aug 19, 2002
I mentioned yesterday I would try a new halogen bulb 30W on my bike, so I did, result is not much of a difference. Keep in mind that I wasn't riding in the trails, just around my streets at night (RPM high enough), but I didn't notice a big improvment on the light, it's definetly a bit brighter (light is more blue) but not an increase in visibility to say I could leave it like that. Probably a H bulb around 40-50W would be best.

So I'm gonna try what Tamean suggested (thanks BTW), and I'll post the results...
Just have a question Temean, when you say 300 turns, you split them equaly on each ( I don't know what you call them) I'll cal them the arms of the stator and is there a right side to turn the wire? Thanks again

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I don't have any experience with this myself, but a friend of mine told me at one time that he bought one of those Acerbis headlights with the double 35watt bulbs and it made a big difference(KTM 200MXC). Maybe someone else that has used these could post their results.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
91kdxrider=I would like to try a 30w halogen bulb ,thanks for the feedback!

Anybody can tell us if this is too hot for the plastic assy ?

91kdxrider=Mt-st anne trail are very great.I do it twice a month.It take me a complete tank to go and return(12 litters) I live 1000ft of this trail.

Tamean

~SPONSOR~
Jan 27, 2001
kdxquebec,
The bulb that comes in the bike is a 30/30 watt quartz halogen, it won't melt the plastic. I have a 55 watt quartz halogen and it hasn't melted. But I wouldn't go and higher.

91kdxrider,
There's the two different coils: the bottom one is your ignition and the top one is the lighting coil, you only need to rewind the lighting coil. Remove the stator assembly (ignition coil, lighting coil, back plate), there's 3 bolts holding it on. You'll have to take the gas tank off and disconnect the 3 wires to completly remove the stator, making life easier. With the stator off the bike, take the 2 bolts out that are holding the lighting coil on. Notice the crimped/soldered ring terminal attached to the right bolt, that's the end of the wire.
There should be a nylon zap strap around the coil, cut it off, as it holds the connection between the insulated wire and the winding wire in place. There is a piece of tubing protecting the connection, cut it off (you'll need a new a new piece of tube). Cut the connection, try not to cut any insulated wire. With the wire cut, the coil is able to be removed. Now the coil can be unwound (I recommend doing it outside or in the garage because the plastic resin gets everywhere). Notice how the wire is wrapped around the black plastic retainers.
Before you start to wind the core, leave a generous piece of wire that attaches to the insulated piece, you can always cut the wire down after your done winding the coil. When your winding it, keep the turns as tight as you can, and try not to kink the wire as it is harder to wind and keep the turns tight to each other. On the stock coil, there's plenty of room to put more windings on, at least 3 more rows (I forget the proper name for a row). There's enough room that you can build the rows up above the black retainers. I believe I put 8 rows on total, 2 were above the retainer. With rows above the retainer, the side windings will want to slip off, I used dental floss and wrapped it around the coil (length ways). Then take it to a rewind shop and have it dipped (it keeps out moisture, secures the dental floss and helps hold the winding together). Last of all, when you solder to the coil wire, use a knife and scrape the fine coating off.

If you need any clarifying just ask,
Warren

91kdxrider

Aug 19, 2002
Thanks for the clarifying Warren,
I'll get started on it tonight and post the results in this thread.

kdxquebec, next I'm in the area I'll let you know.

91kdxrider

Aug 19, 2002
I'm not sure if my last reply was submitted,
Just said thanks Warren for your explanation and I'll start on it tonight and post the results when I'm done.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom