Cinici

Apr 4, 2009
Hi, I'm a bigger guy, 5'11" about, *ahem* 260lbs. I'm looking for a decent beginners bike. This will be the first bike I've owned. This would not be the first bike I've ridden but I would not say I am anyway experienced in riding. What would be a good bike to start with as far size for me, as well as upkeep (don't want to spend a fortune here)?

Also, I'm looking at purchasing a second bike to have friends/family ride with me. Generally withing the 170-190lbs range. Any ideas there?

Thanks

***More Info***

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'11" about 260lbs, 2nd bike (for friends') 5'9"-6'2" -- 170-190lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? just looking for trail riding right about now, possible dirt jumping in the future
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? desert/trail mostly
4) Do you have any riding experience? None really, I can stay up and shift (does that count)
5) Do you think you will race ? NO
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I can figure it out with internet access
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? Not at this time
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? There is a Yamaha dealer down the street, but several more in this city
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? depends on what financing will run me
10) Do you live in California? AZ but may decide to ride in Cali as I grew up there
11) Your age? 28
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion. -- As stated in my post, I will also have friends'/my brother ride with me and I need advice for beginner bikes suited to there sizes as well

Last edited:

02stampede

Jan 5, 2009
Chili said:
I would look for an older Honda XR400 to get you started and maybe a Honda XR250 for the friend bike.
I agree 100%. You dont want a bike that cant move your weight. On the other end of the spectrum, You dont want an overpowered bike that will get you hurt being a novice rider. A smaller bike for friends to ride is good practice in preventing injuries as well. Just to give you an example, I have a yz 250 and an rm 125 for a "friend" bike. I am actually faster and way more comfortable on the 125 than the 250. I have been riding for about 10 years on and off. That being said, a 250 2t can be a lot of fun having all that power but you have to respect the heck out of it or it WILL toss you like a rag doll.

Top Bottom