blackjack

Aug 11, 2002
Would appreciate some advice or honest answers about hopping up my '02 this winter. Doing my yearly checkover and found at some point this year I'd sucked in some grit/sand. My piston's shot but worse the cylinder is .0015" oversize with some of the plating gone. Can you comment on my engine options keeping in my I'm fairly happy with the bike as I have it set up now (Vforce/SST/JD kit/Power Now/Cometic/Exhaust Spacer/Shorty) but always looking for more improvement/best bang for the dollar:

1) Send the cylinder to US Chrome for replate to stock size ($170) plus piston ($100) total $280.

2) Buy new '03 cylinder ($280) plus piston ($100) total $380, I'll have the better '03 cylinder porting and I have a spare cylinder to have repaired/ported later. Am still researching whether or not there will be powervalve fitment problems using the old ones, I see Honda offers various sizes.

3) 265 kit overbore ($225) plus piston/gaskets ($140) total $375.

4) New '03 cylinder ($280) plus 05 head ($80) total $360, the reason being I have access to some '05 OEM single ring pistons but they are domed and will require the newer head. Not sure if this will work however.

5) Replate/port cylinder ($295) plus piston ($100) total $395.

The 265 big bore would be great but at this time is outside of my budget.

Thanks guys in advance for your help!

Last edited:

Oct 29, 2004
don't send it to gore if you wan't your motor to run good.send it to TERRY VARNER the only guy who know;s how to make a cr250 run.he's the best out their not gore.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Eric Gorr will no doubt provide you the best solution provided you tell him what you really want. I've often heard people complain about various modifications or tuners when they were given exactly what they asked for they just didn't take the time to think things all the way through or were not honest with themselves about what they really needed. I've always tried to give Eric & Rich as much information on what my needs were and discussed all aspects of the modifications and I've been more than pleased every time. :cool:

Muroc

Sep 13, 1999
Wes Gilbert at Boyesen racing also does excellent porting work. When Eric Gorr gets too backed up Wes is the person he always recommends so his work must be first rate.

It seems like as long as you avoid dealing with Varner you should be good to go. The only people who ever seem to mention Varner are illiterate boobs who just repeat things they've read in motocross magazines.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I used to have an Eric Gorr '02Cr265 with Mo' betta porting. Definitely the way to go. More power everywhere. It really woke up the sleepy bottom end of the stocker. I would re-do this mod again in a heartbeat. Not only is Eric's work first rate, but he is a very easy person to do business with. Hmm, maybe that's why he's always swamped.

blackjack

Aug 11, 2002
darringer said:
I used to have an Eric Gorr '02Cr265 with Mo' betta porting. Definitely the way to go. More power everywhere. It really woke up the sleepy bottom end of the stocker. I would re-do this mod again in a heartbeat. Not only is Eric's work first rate, but he is a very easy person to do business with. Hmm, maybe that's why he's always swamped.

Thanks for the advice, not really sure if I want to go this far though. Could you give me some idea as to how much bottom end you gained (if you can remember) ie. could you run the bike say, a gear higher with the added torque?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Eric did a KTM 360 for me as well as my son's CR85. Both bikes were/are significantly easier to ride in slower situations while pulling hard all the way through to top end. Since I don't have a calibrated butt I can't give specific numbers but surfice it to say it's a very noticable improvement, more so than any bolt on.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
When I had my '02 265, a friend still had his identical, but stock, '02cr250. I rode them back-to-back under a bunch of different conditions from track to hillclimbs. Bottom end and midrange was noticeably stronger. Top end about the same. Yes, I was able to carry a gear higher in alot of situations. So much so that I was able to run a 49 tooth rear sprocket from the 50 I was running previous. For example, while riding at Hollister on fast single track, I was able to reel in a buddy on his KTM450 that had a 576cc kit on it. Before he would literally run away from me on long straights. Hillclimbing is where it really shined, though. With the 12oz flywheel weight I had it was almost stall-proof. If not for the killer deal I got on my AF500, I would still have the 265. If you have any reservations about dealing with Eric Gorr, don't. Believe me, it's money well spent.

SQUIRLEYMOFO

Jun 11, 2002
blackjack said:
Would appreciate some advice or honest answers about hopping up my '02 this winter. Doing my yearly checkover and found at some point this year I'd sucked in some grit/sand. My piston's shot but worse the cylinder is .0015" oversize with some of the plating gone. Can you comment on my engine options keeping in my I'm fairly happy with the bike as I have it set up now (Vforce/SST/JD kit/Power Now/Cometic/Exhaust Spacer/Shorty) but always looking for more improvement/best bang for the dollar:

1) Send the cylinder to US Chrome for replate to stock size ($170) plus piston ($100) total $280.

2) Buy new '03 cylinder ($280) plus piston ($100) total $380, I'll have the better '03 cylinder porting and I have a spare cylinder to have repaired/ported later. Am still researching whether or not there will be powervalve fitment problems using the old ones, I see Honda offers various sizes.

3) 265 kit overbore ($225) plus piston/gaskets ($140) total $375.

4) New '03 cylinder ($280) plus 05 head ($80) total $360, the reason being I have access to some '05 OEM single ring pistons but they are domed and will require the newer head. Not sure if this will work however.

5) Replate/port cylinder ($295) plus piston ($100) total $395.

The 265 big bore would be great but at this time is outside of my budget.

Thanks guys in advance for your help!
Where are you getting your prices on the overbore? curious.

blackjack

Aug 11, 2002
darringer said:
When I had my '02 265, a friend still had his identical, but stock, '02cr250. I rode them back-to-back under a bunch of different conditions from track to hillclimbs. Bottom end and midrange was noticeably stronger. Top end about the same. Yes, I was able to carry a gear higher in alot of situations. So much so that I was able to run a 49 tooth rear sprocket from the 50 I was running previous. For example, while riding at Hollister on fast single track, I was able to reel in a buddy on his KTM450 that had a 576cc kit on it. Before he would literally run away from me on long straights. Hillclimbing is where it really shined, though. With the 12oz flywheel weight I had it was almost stall-proof. If not for the killer deal I got on my AF500, I would still have the 265. If you have any reservations about dealing with Eric Gorr, don't. Believe me, it's money well spent.

That's a great write up Darringer, really puts things in perspective, thanks.

Top Bottom