Need help making my nex KDX street legal

vmax84

Apr 16, 2003
Have a brand new KDX 200 in my garage now. Wow, what a great bike!! I do, however, need a little help getting it street legal.

I picked up the hydraulic brake light actuator at my dealer a few days ago, so I'm set with that. But how do I wire it up? Any diagrams out there somewhere? Also, what do I do to get the brake light to light? Right now it just has a single element bulb in it.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

vmax84

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Considering the flavor of your questions, I'd suggest something along the lines of a street 'kit'. It will come with instructions.

BajaDesigns makes 'em I believe.

A single element taillight can be used with a resistor setup. Run thru the resistor for 'tail'...bypass the resistor for 'brake'. You can do that on either the power or ground side of things. Usually not a good idea to have power running all over the bike, though. With power running thru a lot of wires, there is more chance of shorting tbls. If you put the resistor on the ground side, and it 'shorts out'...who cares?

mikdxer

Mar 6, 2003
I just went thru the process of licensing my kdx 200 2002. I replaced the stock taillight socket with one from an auto parts store that take a 1157 bulb. I went to a motorcycle salvage yard and picked up a left side handlebar control from an older kaw road bike, and a mechanical brake switch, new horn for about $21.00. The switch had hi/low beam, hazards which I turned into Headlight on/off, horn switch, blinker switch is not used. I took the original light switch and use that for the battery on/off switch. I am still waiting for the 75 watt stator, and a regulator that will charge the battery from Baja Designs. They have everything in a kit but I thought it was a bit pricey, so I made my own kit. You can get a copy of the form you need to have it inspected, by a local cop, that it meets all street legal requirements on the Secretary of State web site. You need D.O.T. tires also, hope this helps

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i would call your tax office and ask if they will sell you a tag first,,, be ready for the usual response though....huh?....

also, i'd gear it up high (larger front sprocket)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Something to consider.........

It's fairly common for riders to license their bikes thru vermont, then transfer that info to their own state.

Using oregon as an example, it is easier to transfer title than it is to get a title. So, with registration in vermont, all I have to do is transfer that to oregon.

If I walk in to an oregon DMV to start the process, there is going to be a required inspection, at which time there is likely to be a problem cuz of the statement right on the vin sticker that says, 'This vehicle is not designed to be operated on any public road,' or words to that effect.

This obviously varies from state to state, but mikdxer is from your state. Sounds like he's familiar with the process there.

Good luck!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…