mattkat993

Mar 10, 2005
first the basics;

I'm 5'7" 150 lbs. Had cbr600 f4i for a year and a half before she got stolen. Intermediate rider. No dirt experience other than the occasional ride on a dirt bike on pavement. Am getting my 8 yr old a ttr 90 (dr-z110?) He can flatfoot a ttr 90. I have sat on a ttr 125le (seems too small) a crf 150 (better fit) ttr 230 and crf 230. I flat foot the 125 and the 150. With the large bikes my heel is off the ground slightly (not quite tiptoed). I'm looking to spend $2000- 2500 for my bike so I know I'll end up with a used bike. I've read some good things about the kdx 200 but it's too tall for me. I figure 34 inch seat height is as tall as i can go. I did find a link to kouba links that can drop the height of a kdx200 to a more manageable height. I plan to do mostly trail riding. Also, i'm not too keen on doing a lot of wrenching on whichever bike I end up with.
Tnaks in advance for your imput(s)

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
the four 4 strokes that you mentioned, the ttr125, 230 and crf 150 and 230 are relatively heavy and underpowered. But if you're just looking for something to trail ride with your son on his 90, then they will be just fine( the 125 is a bit small). The suspension on these bikes just aren't made for much air. And the tame 4 strokes aren't very peppy. This is where the kdx really starts to shine. :yeehaw: They have a quite peppy 2 stroke without the nasty mx'er narrow powerband and way more suspension that is plush. But like most 2 strokers, they weren't made to run continuously at slow rpm's but at the same time, is probably one of the best 2 strokes out there for low rpm's. Seat ht on kdx is 36". I'm 5'-8". I slide the forks up about an inch and loosened the rear spring to increase sag (like you said could change the linkages to lower it which would be better) and I have no problem handling the bike. It was a little intimidating at first coming off of a mx175 with about half the suspension but once I got use to it, oh my! :yeehaw: increased suspension is a gooood thing!!

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Honda 4 strokes are pretty darn bullet-proof. The CRF230 is said to be a good bike, and Yamaha just introduced their revamped TTR230, that seems pretty comparable. An older Honda XR250 would be a good starter, putt-around trail bike. The Kawasaki KDX is always a great bike, a 2 stroke bike, with good low-end power and not as much "hit" and its lighter, if wieght is an issue for you. Plus there is a huge aftermarket following. Bad thing about the KDX is that there is no magic button. The best thing to do is to look at a few different options and look for the bike in the best condition. And dont rush into buying anything either. Finding the best bike you is half the fun.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Look at a XR250R. Once the sag is set, the bike sinks about 4 inches when you sit on it. If you still don't feel comfortable with the 250, then the CRF230F or XR200R will be fine. Don't get a TTR125L or CRF150F, they're too small for you.

white_knuckle

Mar 22, 2005
I'd say go for the crf-230 I have one and i really like it. Dont be stupid like me and go buying a trail bike, needing more power and wasting your money on it. Buy a used 230 that has already been hoped up.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The XR250R or KDX200 will last you longer than the CRF230F. You're skills will out grow the 230F pretty fast. You'll thank yourself later if you go with the XR250 or KDX200.

mattkat993

Mar 10, 2005
thanks for all the input. I've pretty much decided on a 4 stroke. i know the ttr 125le is small but is it too small for me? I've sat on one as well as the ttr 230. The 125 gives me a sense of tossability (not big air) because of the light weight. The crf 150 size wise seems a perfect fit but weighs 50 lbs more (pls correct me if my figures are wrong). The small engine size i don't think will be an issue since i will be riding primarily with my 8 yr old son (i've decided to get him a drz110) on trails. will the ttr 125 be a mistake? Also, the price point on a new ttr is attractive, on a used one even more so. thanks again for any additional input.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Too small for you? No, the biggest craze these days is adults tricking out and riding tiny bikes like 110s. They are often 2nd bikes though that they use to play around and chase eachother in the backyard or around a minitrack. An XR100 even would get you up some long steep hills...they make make plenty of power in 1st gear (not much speed, though). So, with all the weirdness going on with this mini-fetish thing, I can't really say that any bike is too small for you.

For trailriding, though, I think you'll wish you got a bigger bike if you only buy a 125 4stroke. Unless you are stuck on getting an electric starter, the smallest bike I'd reccomend for you as a 5''7" adult would be a 200cc trail bike. Personally, I would go with a used XR200, XR250, TTR225 or 230 or similar. Unless they have been beaten or neglected, you are unlikely to have any regrets.

Top Bottom